D&D General D&D 6e comes out, and the game also makes use of these dice, your thoughts?

How do you feel?

• Great! I love more dice options!

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Terrible! I hate it!

Votes: 56 70.9%
  • In the middle.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I would have to know more about it first...

Votes: 12 15.2%

just to note... you can buy all kinds of weird dice online, pretty much every number between D3 and D20, plus D22, D24, D26, D30, and some higher ones. Just for the hell of it, I collected a set having every available D I could find from D3 to D30

Slit518

Adventurer
A purpose I could see it useful for would be a feature that lets you bump up weapon damage a die-grade or two. So for example a d12 weapon could be bumped up to a d14 or a d16 as an example.

And, Spells or other effects could take advantage of these extra dice.

come to think of it... I gave one of my nieces a complete D3 to D30 set of dice for Christmas last year (she plays 5E), plus a bunch of other weird dice. like random weather and treasure dice, a couple of D26 alphabet dice (I thought those would be fun for rolling up random names and then arguing with the DM how they're pronounced), and some standard D&D dice sets that had rubber duckies and bloody skulls inside them....

just to note... you can buy all kinds of weird dice online, pretty much every number between D3 and D20, plus D22, D24, D26, D30, and some higher ones. Just for the hell of it, I collected a set having every available D I could find from D3 to D30
And you can make a spinner for any value you like.

teitan

Legend
Let's say 6e comes out, and we have the normal dice:
  1. 1d2 (1/2 a d4, used sometimes)
  2. 1d3 (1/2 a d6, used sometimes)
  3. 1d4
  4. 1d6
  5. 1d8
  6. 1d10
  7. 1d12
  8. 1d20
  9. 1d100
But then they also add these dice to the game:
  1. 1d14
  2. 1d16
  3. 1d18
How do you feel?
Are you excited about the prospect of bigger, and larger dice?
Or, are you upset because now you will have to invest in new dice to match all of the sets you already own?
I would keep playing DCC

teitan

Legend
I have never played DCC. What are all of those wonky dice used for? And why is there no d18?
Action resolutions to represent skill improvement and advantage and disadvantage instead of just flat bonuses and penalties all the time. So much of a penalty or bonus it’s a dice bump or drop. When you get a second action in combat it starts at a lower die than a D20. They’re also used in the various tables and charts from generating monsters to critical hits and fumbles and spell effects.

Orius

Legend
I can't think of any reason I'd need a d14, d16, or d18. I've got a d24 that is at best a dubious part of my collection. A d30 could be useful, but I can emulate that with ad3 + d10 roll.

Slit518

Adventurer
Traits that bump up weapon damage a die-grade or two. So for example a 1d12 Greataxe can go from d12 to d14, and maybe under other circumstances from d14 to d16. Another way to increase damage instead of just a straight +1

Also, Hit-Die for certain size creatures, it bumps from d12 to d20, seems kind of iffy.

Plus, Magic and certain Abilities could use the larger dice, d12-d18 for damage instead of multiple dice initially.

Orius

Legend
Honestly, that's not that useful IMO. Weapons with a damage range of 1-12 are already starting to get swingy because you have an equal chance of rolling a 1 or a 12, and that tends to make them a bit unreliable, where a 2d6 tends towards 7 rather than the extremes, and you can't roll a 1. That's going to get worse the more sides you add to a die. So a 2d8 or 3d6 generally tends to be a little better for increasing damage even if you're more likely to hit the averages.

Remove ads