• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

MarkB

Legend
Our gaming group in the UK, which generally consists of around 30 people around five tables in a three-room venue every Friday night, is so far taking a "wait-and-see" approach. I'm hoping we don't come to regret that.

Sadras

Legend
But actually that's not accurate because people are also dying of secondary complications (the pneumonia the Italian doctor mentions).

Are you saying these secondary complication deaths add to the mortality rate of the virus or are you just saying there are additional related deaths we should also take into consideration ( in general)?

Sadras

Legend
There's effectively two different numbers:

...(snip)...

2) If you catch the disease at all, what is the chance of mortality. This includes an estimate for the people who do not get officially diagnosed. This is what an epedemiologist calls the "mortality rate", generally. For a disease like the flu, there are tons of people who never get diagnosed officially.

And (2) was covered by the part left out of the quote of my words "Ofcourse there is the estimated part of the formula which messes it all up a bit."

Yeah, folks, there are people who do this professionally. They know how diseases spread. You really think your personal assessment is better?

And plenty of professionals mess up repeatedly. This is also a general discussion amongst posters not those professionals.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And (2) was covered by the part left out of the quote of my words "Ofcourse there is the estimated part of the formula which messes it all up a bit."

I wanted to make it explicit and clear.

And plenty of professionals mess up repeatedly.

This is not an arugment to trust your own assessment over the professionals. Professionals mess up. Non-professionals should be messing up a lot more. And, professionals have peer review. And the actual original data. And far better understanding of the subject matter.

General distrust of knowledge professionals is a thing. It is a thing that causes more issues than it solves, by a wide margin.

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Covid-19 is expected to hit my community next week. We aren’t expecting to play again until next month, but if someone does get sick in the coming days, it’s already been agreed that we’ll delay the game by a few weeks at minimum.

Local news is already reporting that it has a long incubation period, so I’m wanting everyone to be good and recovered before we play again...

Celebrim

Legend
South Korea for example is reporting that the mortality rate is around 0.6%...

No disrespect is intended, but I did say that I just wanted to drop this and and you don't even know the mathematical formula for mortality rate. If I seem short, it's because I've heard that spurious claim about SK "mortality rate" an innumerable number of times.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Fortunately, my group plays online. I was majorly sick this past week (no, corona hasn't reached my area yet) and I was still able to play thanks to the wonders of the internet.

However, I am taking the coronavirus very serious as my mum is 80 and has COPD (I'm her care giver) and my brother is currently in the hospital on assisted breathing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As of 5 hours ago, in South Korea (probably the best country we have that tested a large part of the population and thus has the best sample size of actual confirmed cases), they have 58 deaths and 7513 confirmed cases. That's 0.8% fatality.

Those are probably the most reliable figures we have on mortality so far because they're testing pretty much everyone who is sick because their test kits are widely available. Compared to say, the US, where hardly anyone is getting tested, and those who are, are only those showing the most severe symptoms.

Sacrosanct

Legend
No disrespect is intended, but I did say that I just wanted to drop this and and you don't even know the mathematical formula for mortality rate. If I seem short, it's because I've heard that spurious claim about SK "mortality rate" an innumerable number of times.

No disrespect intended, but you were the one to say the real mortality rate is 5.7% without providing any citation that proves that (and runs counter to what every health expert has said), and you were the one that said there is weak evidence that there are a lot of undiagnosed cases out there, which flies in the face of logic seeing as how just considering the US, we have hardly tested anyone so far, and only the most severe symptoms. And that also flies in the fact of what the medical experts are saying, and also was claimed without any evidence on your part.

So if you're tired of always arguing these figures with people, perhaps it's you who is using false and inaccurate information, and not everyone else? 🤷‍♂️

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads