D&D and the rising pandemic

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You draw in the stupid, you count them, then you track them & see how many get sick/die/survive. It's a mass Darwin's Award test.

This fails one of the more basic conspiracy theory sniff tests - it requires the conspirators to be both competent geniuses, and incompetent fools.

They have to be competent and genius enough to identify and track a quarter million people from all over the nation.

They have to be complete idiots, because they fail the basic understanding that the overwhelming majority of deaths associated with the event will be people who didn't go to the event.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
WTF? You cannot enforce a mask mandate? ARE YOU ")%#(%$(#' KIDDING ME? Schools are one of the few places where it is 100% acceptable to enforce mandates, like it or hate it.

Yeah. The collective roar of every girl's eyes rolling upon hearing that, after being sent home for wearing spaghetti straps, the wrong hairstyle, or shorts that are above the knee, is deafening.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In one article about Sturgis, a city official was quoted as saying “we can’t just put up roadblocks.”

I’m thinking...how many roads in and out of Sturgis are there? I mean, most urbanized areas over a certain size do have the material & equipment to substan block ingress & egress.

And the schools that are doing all the handwringing about masks probably have a long history of suspending students for dress code violations...including for clothing expressing speech.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Yeah. The collective roar of every girl's eyes rolling upon hearing that, after being sent home for wearing spaghetti straps, the wrong hairstyle, or shorts that are above the knee, is deafening.
Yeah. Schools already have dress codes. Adding a mask to the dress code, which would protect the health of the general population, doesn't seem unreasonable when I've seen people sent home/have to be given something to change into for wearing something that only offends the eyes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah. Schools already have dress codes. Adding a mask to the dress code, which would protect the health of the general population, doesn't seem unreasonable when I've seen people sent home/have to be given something to change into for wearing something that only offends the eyes.

You know, thinking on this, there is a kind of logic...

1) People get bloody well shot in retail stores for trying to insist on masks. Is Mrs. Crabapple supposed to face down some covid-denier with an assault rifle for making little Johnny cover his mouth and nose?

2) Masks are excellent... for short, casual contact. Wear one in the grocery, or on the street, and you are unlikely to infect a passerby. This breaks down when you have people in an enclosed space, sharing air. Kids are in classrooms breathing each other's air for hours and hours - the mask isn't really going to save them.

3) Given 2, not enforcing masks gets them to have an outbreak quickly and the school shut back down, which might actually minimize the impact.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm wondering if, as the crisis goes on, if there are a number of people in health care, medicine, public health, biostatistics and the like who have started getting fed up with everything and are now posting full-throated conspiracy things... and their family or friends or colleagues are never going to be able to un-see it.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
1) People get bloody well shot in retail stores for trying to insist on masks. Is Mrs. Crabapple supposed to face down some covid-denier with an assault rifle for making little Johnny cover his mouth and nose?
If a mask could stop 2 people from getting infected (I'm not going by statistics here, just an example number), who could then infect more people, who would then infect more, until eventually people will die from your infecting these 2 people, someone being shot seems like a lower risk for death than coronavirus infection. It is horrifying that we have to compare these risks here in America. I've only seen a few examples of people being shot over mask-related problems.

Also, Covid-19 is contagious. Rage-induced shooting rampages don't seem to be.
2) Masks are excellent... for short, casual contact. Wear one in the grocery, or on the street, and you are unlikely to infect a passerby. This breaks down when you have people in an enclosed space, sharing air. Kids are in classrooms breathing each other's air for hours and hours - the mask isn't really going to save them.
Yeah, masks aren't great in those circumstances. This more illustrates the point that going back to school is a bad idea no matter what the safety measures are more than anything else. It reduces spread, and if the desks are far enough apart, it is more unlikely to spread the virus. I don't know if many (if any) schools will have those precautions.

Also, maybe if more people wear masks, more will jump on the bandwagon (hasn't seemed to work yet, but who know? Maybe if their kids have to wear masks, some people will start wearing masks?)
3) Given 2, not enforcing masks gets them to have an outbreak quickly and the school shut back down, which might actually minimize the impact.
Or it could lead to just a spread in Coronavirus if they don't close the school down. I don't think the people who are pushing for re-opening schools mid-pandemic will want to stop re-opening just because of an increase in cases. The current increase in cases hasn't done much to stop the opening up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases