D&D and the rising pandemic

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Looks like the numbers in the US are surging again. We are already getting 50K+ new cases per day, give or take, just like we were the last time we had a surge in cases (July). Texas is now the second-most infected state, and it's poised to be the first by the end of the week.

I wonder why we haven't heard anything about it. What else could possibly be more important than thousands of people dying every day?

Zardnaar

Legend
Looks like the numbers in the US are surging again. We are already getting 50K+ new cases per day, give or take, just like we were the last time we had a surge in cases (July). Texas is now the second-most infected state, and it's poised to be the first by the end of the week.

I wonder why we haven't heard anything about it. What else could possibly be more important than thousands of people dying every day?

Found out yesterday my friends in Houston her husband got Covid. He's all good, caught it off his sister.

Went to birthday event and someone didn't say they were sick otherwise they wouldn't have gone.

A lapse I suppose but they've been taking precautions since March and I suppose at some point you have to live your life.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Went to birthday event and someone didn't say they were sick otherwise they wouldn't have gone.

Depending on people to be honest and tell you if they are sick fails because:
1) People are often not honest.
2) Even when they are honest, they may not know they are sick to tell you.

So, this was not a wise move.

I suppose at some point you have to live your life.

Or die trying. Or, perhaps worse, cause someone else to die because you just can't be bothered anymore.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, though, perpetual vigilance is not realistic. That’s why vaccines are the holy grail of prevention.

I may have mentioned before, my Dad had a C19 scare in his medical practice. it happened due to people- himself included- getting a little too complacent. Fortunately, everyone tested negative.

He’s an MD with an MPH. His training is similar to Fauci’s. He has drummed into me the dangers of respirator illnesses- and how to avoid them- since I was old enough to understand.

And he still got lax.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depending on people to be honest and tell you if they are sick fails because:
1) People are often not honest.
2) Even when they are honest, they may not know they are sick to tell you.

So, this was not a wise move.

Or die trying. Or, perhaps worse, cause someone else to die because you just can't be bothered anymore.

Well she said they made a mistake, they've got a 6 year old and she missed her birthday.

We did it for 7 weeks, they've been doing it 7 months.

They don't live in a great part of Houston and experienced looting in Katrina so 6 months locked up with guns (because of the looting experience) I suppose eventually you take a risk and get burned.

Rough neighborhood.

They stayed in Maine for a bit but had to go home eventually.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, though, perpetual vigilance is not realistic.

To be fair, in general we are doing such a craptastic job of it that the claim that we are vigilant at all, much less constantly, is verging on laughable.

I may have mentioned before, my Dad had a C19 scare in his medical practice. it happened due to people- himself included- getting a little too complacent. Fortunately, everyone tested negative.

He’s an MD with an MPH. His training is similar to Fauci’s. He has drummed into me the dangers of respirator illnesses- and how to avoid them- since I was old enough to understand.

And he still got lax.

There's an interesting point here, in that I am sure that they have maintained constant vigilance on things like hygiene and sharps safety just fine.

But, leaving that aside, maintaining constant vigilance in an every day, day-after-day work context is different than the choice of whether to go to a one-time party event. I may be wrong, but we can probably bet good money that folks weren't wearing masks or keeping distance at that party. This makes it less a matter of having gotten lax at some point of procedure, and much more about making a willful choice to take a risk.

As has been said several times over in this thread - take that risk, and have it fail, and you are likely to kill someone. Probably not yourself, but someone.

Pardon me if I lack sympathy for the poor person who got covid while making a willful choice like that.

To be fair, though, perpetual vigilance is not realistic. That’s why vaccines are the holy grail of prevention.

And he still got lax.

To go back to an earlier discussion, this is the reason why I continue to promote the use of gaiters*. While gaiters may not always be as good as other masks in all situations, they have the huge benefit that they can be integrated into life very easily. People will take a mask off when they're alone and leave it behind; a gaiter stays with you. When people get lax over time, we need solutions that can become second nature.

See also: painted dots on the floor in checkout lines to show you what 6' looks like, easily accessible anti-bac stations, and parking lots designed for curb-side pickup.

*Obviously, I'm also a fan of gaiters that are multi layered, the correct material, etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
To be fair, in general we are doing such a craptastic job of it that the claim that we are vigilant at all, much less constantly, is verging on laughable.

There's an interesting point here, in that I am sure that they have maintained constant vigilance on things like hygiene and sharps safety just fine.

But, leaving that aside, maintaining constant vigilance in an every day, day-after-day work context is different than the choice of whether to go to a one-time party event. I may be wrong, but we can probably bet good money that folks weren't wearing masks or keeping distance at that party. This makes it less a matter of having gotten lax at some point of procedure, and much more about making a willful choice to take a risk.

As has been said several times over in this thread - take that risk, and have it fail, and you are likely to kill someone. Probably not yourself, but someone.

Pardon me if I lack sympathy for the poor person who got covid while making a willful choice like that.

Mind me asking what you do for a living and what your social circle of friends are?

My friends in Houston are blue in a sea of red, ethnic minorities blue collar job where the majority of the clients for their small business are Afro American.

Kids been home schooled since March, they live in nice house bad neighbourhood and have experienced looting before hence owning 3 guns and they're not gun rights fanatics.

Their friends and family don't have white collar work from home jobs where they can have expanded bubbles with others who can live in expanded bubbles outside hotspots.

I've been joking they should move here since 2006 but it's not really viable even if they got a visa and we're willing to leave behind family and friends.

6 months of that and yeah. Even with the best of intentions I don't think you can be hyper vigilant 100% of the time.

They're not crazies just human.

Remove ads