D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The COVID virus came from a lab, where it was subject to artificial selection.
Do not spread pandemic misinformation in this thread or anywhere on this site.

1) There is NO evidence that any gain-of-function research was done on C19. This has been debunked more than once by scientists from various countries

2) Whether C19’s jump into humans came from an environmental exposure or an accidental exposure due to a lab accident at Wuhan is unknown at this time,

3) C19 has been subject to natural selection since it first arose in nature like every other coronavirus, and has continued so to be since it’s jump into humans.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Corona-19 is now subject to natural selection.

It never stopped being subject to natural selection.

Note that as long as we are significantly mucking about in the spread of the virus, either with vaccines or our own behaviors, that selection isn't entirely "natural".

And, even with the short generations times of the virus, evolution isn't a matter of years - it is decades to centuries. Evolution is something you see and recognize only in retrospective.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Note that as long as we are significantly mucking about in the spread of the virus, either with vaccines or our own behaviors, that selection isn't entirely "natural".

And, even with the short generations times of the virus, evolution isn't a matter of years - it is decades to centuries. Evolution is something you see and recognize only in retrospective.

I gather you're distinguishing evolution from selection? Because you absolutely selection in microorganisms faster than that. The history of syphilis is pretty instructive in that regard.

Mirtek

Hero
In 2018-2019, @63% of kids and 45% of adults got their flu vaccines in the USA.
That's impressive. People in Germany just seem to not care. Admittely I never got mine until it was offered at work. Just once a year knock on a door I pass by daily anyway. If I had to make an extra appointment at my doctor and go there in my free time, I wouldn't bother to get it too

Zardnaar

Legend
Might be a balls up in my vaccine appointment. Found out today you're supposed to get a confirmation message which I didn't get. Did get a message saying your XYZ has expired but ignore this message if you have already made an appointment.

Have to ring the phone number and check if I actually have said appointment I thought I did.

Remove ads