D&D and the rising pandemic

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, about deer...

How do deer get it? Well, many of the deer in the articles above were farm-raised (most deer meat you can buy is not wild hunted, folks!) and so had frequent contact with humans. And on farms, wild deer do often come by and interact with farmed deer through fences.

Also, wild deer do rummage through human trash - a deer getting into trash loaded with used tissues, and you have possible infection.

I'm surprised a lot of "house cats" wouldn't have similar problems, with the large number of them in the states that are let roam the neighborhoods, neighborhoods right next to large feral colonies (often moving from a bowl and one house to a bowl at another).

A major point to make is that we do not know if these deer can pass it back to humans. These deer were not tested by nose-swab, so the data does not directly indicate presence in the upper respiratory tract, or what levels it is present there in the deer - the droplet-based transmission we see in human transmission may not be a thing for deer.
A zoo lost three snow leopards due to complications. Is there anything about cats that's vastly different from people that a symptomatic one wouldn't have it in their respiratory tract? (I know little enough of human anatomy let alone cat).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm surprised a lot of "house cats" wouldn't have similar problems, with the large number of them in the states that are let roam the neighborhoods, neighborhoods right next to large feral colonies (often moving from a bowl and one house to a bowl at another).

Well, yes - this is why your veterinarian vaccinates your animal against things that it is vulnerable to! This is why, in most of the US, if you have a dog or cat you are legally required to vaccinate it against rabies.

But, dogs and cats just are not terribly vulnerable to SARS-COV-2. For whatever reason - protein structures, pH, or whatever - cats and dogs rarely catch it. They just aren't good hosts for the virus.

A zoo lost three snow leopards due to complications. Is there anything about cats that's vastly different from people that a symptomatic one wouldn't have it in their respiratory tract? (I know little enough of human anatomy let alone cat).

There's loads of things that are different between dogs and cats and humans. This is why many of the things in your medicine cabinet are toxic to Rover and Fluffy, and why there aren't many diseases your animals can get that they can share with you, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Covid why me worry?

IMG-ad00da966b7b6050fbd1e976d55ef0b3-V.jpg

Wait until I evolve thumbs bwa ha ha. Gonna eat ur eyeballs!!!!

Zardnaar

Legend
Nah. Eyeball-eating is a bird thing - what with those long, narrow beaks. Cats are more interested in your muscle tissue.
Playing indoor hockey with your eyeballs, OTOH, would be a very cat thing to do.

Yup. Cats are (insert profanity here). They're actually trying to kill you.

1. When they sit on your chest they're trying to crush you (not heavy enough).

2. Human pincushion. Trying to claw you to death. Claws are to small.

3. Rubbing up against your legs. Actually trying to foot trip you resulting in hard impact on the ground.

Etc.

True story honest. If you collapsed a dog would go get help. Eventually the cat will eat your eyeballs. Humans are just to stupid to figure it out.

Cats (or dolphins) will rule the world.

NotAYakk

Legend
Ok, for those of us who are a bit slower than the rest of the class, why would reservoirs of Covid 19 in deer matter? It's not like we have much contact with deer, by and large - they aren't going to breathe on us and, while I suppose urine or feces are around, I don't think Covid spreads that way. If you hunt deer, again, it's not breathing on you, by and large, and, you're going to cook it pretty carefully - certainly enough to kill anything nasty in there.

So, I'm not following the chain here.

I could see if something like cows could be infected that it would be a huge problem. But deer? Is this actually going to matter?
Animal resivours for a disease make full eradication much much harder.

One could imagine a vaccine 10x as effectuve and a cheap instant test allowing us to track down and eliminate covid 19 from humans worldwide. But if there are animal resivours this becomes harder.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Booster report-

So, I'm not technically in the category for an approved booster. But (as they say) I'm close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, and "Dude, I have to deal with unvaccinated members of the public AND with kids."

So I received the booster this weekend (Pfizer). It's been more than 6 months since I received the second dose.

Notes-

1. They did not ask for proof of eligibility for the booster. They didn't even ask at all.

2. Some people have complained about side effects, and every person is different. This was my easiest one- arm sore the next day and a little tired. I had already arranged to completely relax both the day of and the next day, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yup. Cats are (insert profanity here). They're actually trying to kill you.

I know folks think this is funny, but... no, they aren't.

And, I know this will sound like a wet blanket, but maintaining the refrain that cats are a-holes actually gives cover to people who get bad behavior from cats because they treat them in ways that are inappropriate for the cat.

Sorry, but my wife has to go out today and will likely have to perform a euthanasia due to neglect - so today I'm not terribly tolerant of the position that the cats are the bad ones in human-cat relationships.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, if anyone here still needs a reason to stay on top of their vaccination and boosters, here it is:

A study of studies which indicates that about half (54% the study found) of people who get covid-19 experience some form of "long covid" symptoms lasting six months or more.

Remove ads