• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

Given how every individual celebrity is now basically an independent corporation at this point, they're doing the same thing. Actually admitting fault and making it right is too expensive, but a non-pology to manage the PR while not admitting specific fault or committing to make the folks you wronged whole is cheap so they do it.

That is good short term thinking, and maybe even long term thinking for a well backed corporation. But for a sole proprietor probably not. It depends on how much in assets they have stashed away.

Instead of duck and cover / avoid, they could chose to admit fault, pay what they owe, do some proper apologies and then wen they lose the lawsuits just declare bankruptcy. Then they would be able to rebuild their "brand" and start bringing in money again. Sure it would set them back years, but at least they would have a career.

Now with duck and cover they might get to keep some of their money, but they will not have their careers anymore. Short-term, and selfish, thinking.

theliel

Explorer
Uncool, unfair and reaching.

Phoenix and Stone's toxic behaviors have only recently come to light, and neither have been directly involved with WotC, and I think CR, in recent times. I'm sure some individuals within both organizations knew of their behaviors to some degree . . . but to tar either company or any individuals within those companies without any evidence of wrongdoing . . . well, that's pretty toxic also.

Nah, Satine's most recent toxic behaviors have just come to light, but she has a long and storied history of 'falling in with the wrong people' from James Desborugh to Zak S, and it's not like WotC doesn't continually have bad actors showing up all the time because they are Nerd Notable (not even famous) when deciding to court specific audiences.

There was the whole thing with Merls & handling reports of Zak S's back actions, to hiring RPG Pundit & Zak S in the first place to try to pander to the OSR crowd during the developmetn of D&D 5th,

So WotC, an arm of a multinational conglomerate Hasbro, has been hiring Influencers since before that was a job, and doing absolute terribly at due diligence, and then getting used for it. You can see in Liisa's story about Satine & WotC dangling a WotC staff position in front of her to get her to do work, then torpedoing it when Satine decided she didn't like Liisa.

pukunui

Legend
So WotC, an arm of a multinational conglomerate Hasbro, has been hiring Influencers since before that was a job, and doing absolute terribly at due diligence, and then getting used for it. You can see in Liisa's story about Satine & WotC dangling a WotC staff position in front of her to get her to do work, then torpedoing it when Satine decided she didn't like Liisa.
Yes, and there was some question of who "Z" is in Liisa's story. Somebody upthread said they were sure it must be Greg Tito. I have no idea myself, but whoever it was - were they complicit in Satine's blacklisting of Liisa or were they taken in by her as well?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, and there was some question of who "Z" is in Liisa's story. Somebody upthread said they were sure it must be Greg Tito. I have no idea myself, but whoever it was - were they complicit in Satine's blacklisting of Liisa or were they taken in by her as well?
Literally nobody else at WotC fits the bill: organizing D&D Live was part of the story with Z...and at the time, thst would have been 100% Greg Tito.

I'd like to think Greg listened to the wrong side in a "she said, she said" scenario and was misled.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Uncool, unfair and reaching.

Phoenix and Stone's toxic behaviors have only recently come to light, and neither have been directly involved with WotC, and I think CR, in recent times. I'm sure some individuals within both organizations knew of their behaviors to some degree . . . but to tar either company or any individuals within those companies without any evidence of wrongdoing . . . well, that's pretty toxic also.
That is always how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads