D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Superbowl Spot

The Superbowl commercial for the upcoming movie Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has been released in advance. The movie comes out on March 31st.

Last year's movie/streaming show Super Bowl ads were:
  • “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness”
  • “The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power”
  • “Nope”
  • “Jurassic World: Dominion”
  • “The Lost City”
  • “Sonic 2”
  • “The Adam Project”
  • “Moon Knight”
So a mixed bag. Also, be cautious about early social media reactions; those always skew very positive, even for films that turn out to be stinkers. Your first real indication of how a studio sees a property is its release date. March is not considered a prime spot, (the first two weeks are sometimes considered part of the January-February dump moths, though the end of March is not terrible). It's a cautious release spot.

Next good indication comes by how late the review embargo is pushed, especially on a new property. If the embargo goes right up the release date, that's generally a bad sign. But there are always exceptions. At this point my feelings for this film are guarded optimism.

Super Bowl Movie Trailer: ‘Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves’

It doesn't look like it's getting any review Embargo at all, they are showing it at the Texas Film festival on March 10th, instead of the usual critic exclusive screenings, unless those have already occurred.

It actually doesn't look half bad; how often, up on the big screen, will you see an armor-clad soldier brained with a lute?
Every 73 years?
p1016_p_v10_aa.jpg

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I have a feeling we'll see the game tie-ins around the time the movie becomes available to buy on DVD/blu-ray. "This starter set Includes a free copy of HAT!" "Replay the iconic scenes from the movie with the free adventure included with the blu-ray", "This Ultimate 4K set includes a free month of Beyond and a %20 discount on the PHB from our store!"
Interesting thought. And they don't even have to make it a physical copy. Just throw in a code for a free digital copy.

Dang it. I don't need another starter set but if it includes a digital copy and I like the movie.........

Clint_L

Hero

Remove ads

Remove ads