D&D 5E D&D Live: Kate Welch returns with Jack Black, Reggie Watts and others!

During WotC's 'D&D Live' events in mid-July this year, there will be a live game called The Lost Odyssey: Last Light, featuring a dragons, krakens, and giant sea queens. WotC's Kate Welch will be the DM and celebrity guests Jack Black, Reggie Watts, Lauren Lapkus, Kevin Smith, and Jason Mewes will be the players -- plus one other guest they have not yet announced.

thumbnail_image001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

more like celebs pretending to like playing D&D to get easy money and attention is very mainstream now
I don't know. If you assume most actors were 'emo theater kids' growing up, they'd have absolutely have been exposed to gaming growing up.
And then when you look at Joe Magniello's group that isn't playing out in the public for publicity?
I find it interesting that there seems an almost automatic reaction that if someone claims to be a gamer/geek/whatever, and they don't fit the stereotype, people doubt or start with the checking of 'cred'. I do love the not-subtle shade I've seen Joe throw towards Vin Diesel, and how Vin says he plays, but yet Joe doesn't know a single person who games with him.

Dire Bare

Legend
more like celebs pretending to like playing D&D to get easy money and attention is very mainstream now
You may not be intending to, but you are seriously gatekeeping here. Ridiculously so.

Playing D&D to get easy money and attention? It's not going to help their career that much, regardless of their current level of celebrity.

The most simple and reasonable explanation is this: Most of these folks discovered D&D at some point in their lives and fell in love just like all of us here did. For some, it was in their childhood. For others, it's been recent. At the risk of going all People Magazine . . . celebs, they're just like us!

I'm sure there are a few of these D&D playing celebs who's first exposure is the celeb D&D game. So? If you're geeky, even if somewhat famous, and somebody invites you to play a fun game with a bunch of really fun and creative people, pay you, and let you participate in a rising phenomenon . . . why would you not jump right on that?!?!

One of the best things about D&D is the fans, famous and not-famous. The passion, the creativity, and (sometimes) the inclusiveness and welcoming. One of the worst things about D&D sometimes . . . is the fans, the gatekeeping fans who are resentful of sharing their hobby with a new, growing, and diverse audience.

Dire Bare

Legend
I do love the not-subtle shade I've seen Joe throw towards Vin Diesel, and how Vin says he plays, but yet Joe doesn't know a single person who games with him.
For the most part, I like Joe Manganiello and his passion for the game. I also love most of his work as an actor, and he seems like a pretty cool guy, most of the time.

But sometimes . . . he's like the worst of us here on these forums. He sometimes seems to consider himself Hollywood D&D royalty, and just can't imagine anybody in Hollywood playing the game if they aren't in his circle of D&D nerd-friends.

There was no reason for him to throw shade on Vin Diesel . . . . there's no reason to doubt Vin Diesel is just as big a D&D geek, just because he doesn't play with Manganiello or any of those in his circle.

There are plenty of people who play D&D in my town whom I've never met. Hollywood is no different in that regard.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
For the most part, I like Joe Manganiello and his passion for the game. I also love most of his work as an actor, and he seems like a pretty cool guy, most of the time.

But sometimes . . . he's like the worst of us here on these forums. He sometimes seems to consider himself Hollywood D&D royalty, and just can't imagine anybody in Hollywood playing the game if they aren't in his circle of D&D nerd-friends.

There was no reason for him to throw shade on Vin Diesel . . . . there's no reason to doubt Vin Diesel is just as big a D&D geek, just because he doesn't play with Manganiello or any of those in his circle.

There are plenty of people who play D&D in my town whom I've never met. Hollywood is no different in that regard.

Yeah, I remember that. It was a very weird answer Manganiello gave. He kind of threw it out there that maybe Vin Diesel is faking playing D&D... which, I don't know any reason why Diesel would ever need to lie about something so trivial. Probably does play a little bit sometimes with his closest friends, or used to.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases