D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Moves Forward With Deal With Former Marvel Exec Jeremy Latcham

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Is he? I haven't seen either of his movies, Vacation and Game Night - RT gives one the first 27% but the second a very good 85%. Neither is a big-budget action movie and it doesn't seem like he'd have much experience of the kind of shooting he'd be doing here, but that maybe that doesn't matter now, given you get so much support from the crew. He seems like a nice guy but that doesn't guarantee much. I guess I'd have preferred someone with more experience, but at least he hasn't made a whole bunch of terrible movies or something.
Screenplay for SpiderMan: Homecoming too

Screenplay for SpiderMan: Homecoming too

Yeah, which wasn't perfect but definitely wasn't bad (I felt like the main problems with it felt more like Management had come in asked certain elements be toned up/down too, rather than that the writer wasn't good). And he is writing and directing with the same guy as usual, so that's good.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley are the duo that did Horrible Bosses 1&2 and Game Night. They also were part of a team to write Spiderman Homecoming.

So the positive of these two is they write an ensemble flick pretty well. The downside is its all screwball comedies that are forgotten a day after viewing. Not sure if a serious story is to be expected. Id expect it will be a PG version of Your Highness at release.

That might not tickle the fancy of big time Forgettable Realms and Dragonlance fans, but I think for a wide release, a less serious film might be a better idea.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley are the duo that did Horrible Bosses 1&2 and Game Night. They also were part of a team to write Spiderman Homecoming.

So the positive of these two is they write an ensemble flick pretty well. The downside is its all screwball comedies that are forgotten a day after viewing. Not sure if a serious story is to be expected. Id expect it will be a PG version of Your Highness at release.

That might not tickle the fancy of big time Forgettable Realms and Dragonlance fans, but I think for a wide release, a less serious film might be a better idea.

Screwball comedy is an upside: anything else would constitute a betrayal of the source material.

Screwball comedy is an upside: anything else would constitute a betrayal of the source material.
OTOH, movies like Your Highness and Knights of Badassdom already exist, and haven't performed that well. The only successful live action, medieval fantasy comedy I can think of in the last 20 years is Role Models.

The idea of D&D done by the makers of Game Night and Horrible Bosses makes me think it will perform OK but not well enough to get a sequel, will probably age badly, and end up being remembered by no one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
OTOH, movies like Your Highness and Knights of Badassdom already exist, and haven't performed that well. The only successful live action, medieval fantasy comedy I can think of in the last 20 years is Role Models.

The idea of D&D done by the makers of Game Night and Horrible Bosses makes me think it will perform OK but not well enough to get a sequel, will probably age badly, and end up being remembered by no one.

The more relevant antecedents would be Guardians of the Galaxy and other MCU entries

Chaosmancer

Legend
The more relevant antecedents would be Guardians of the Galaxy and other MCU entries

Yeah, I think them being involved in the MCU is potentially a good sign. People are talking about how you can't really do a single DnD movie (which, you can, but I get the point that a series allows more nuanced character arcs) and the MCU was phenomenal about doing small bits with characters and allowing other movies to take up the torch.

I don't think they will go the way of a comedy movie, but one that does use humor effectively would be nice. Hopefully though, they don't go the route of Beer Thor or Draxx from Vol. 2. Neither of those characters were really funny, they were just aggravating to me. I wouldn't mind getting some more snark like Tony or awkwardness like Peter though, I could see those working in a DnD movie.

Remove ads