D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Synopsis Namechecks Harpers, Red Wizards, and Neverwinter [UPDATED - MAYBE NOT?]

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.

UPDATE -- Screenrant reported on the same story but has since posted: "Screen Rant has confirmed the below Dungeons & Dragons movie synopsis is not accurate." They haven't said any more or indicated how they've confirmed that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This reminds me of how "alternative" music in the 80s became pop in the 90s, or various counter-cultures become subsumed within the mainstream. At a certain point, it is no longer subversive, but has become the new flavor within the mass media norm.

Such "subversions" become assimilated into the mass media and are no longer subversive. At this point, what are they subverting? Older norms, but they have become the new norm - that is why everyone wants to emulate the MCU.

Or, in other words:

View attachment 137192
Yeah, it's marketing BS, bit it's marketing BS for "things Parmandur enjoys," so I'll allow it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe I'm squinting too hard, you're right. Doesn't seem kinda similar though? Of all the scenario plots you could do...

Comedy adventure made with trilogy in mind, a thief protagonist teaming up with adventuring party after a botched heist, mix of currently popular genre actors (Pine) and up-and-comers who've shown promise (Jurassic/Pikachu Justice Smith and Bridgerton's hot-right-now Rege-Jean Page). Antagonist is the only english actor (Grant) and he's someone in position of extreme power & conspiring with mages to do something even worse™.
I mean, I expect it will involve cameras taking moving pictures, so there are a couple similarities.

imagineGod

Legend
Obviously, the movie has to be set in The Forgotten Realms. That is the only Dungeons and Dragons many of us know. Yes, yes, Greyhawk, but seriously, never appealed to me as fantasy enough.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
So we know it is set in the Forgotten Realms and Rege Jean Page is not playing Drizzt. The rest of the 'precis' is bunk?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.

UPDATE -- Screenrant reported on the same story but has since posted: "Screen Rant has confirmed the below Dungeons & Dragons movie synopsis is not accurate." They haven't said any more or indicated how they've confirmed that.
Ah man I hope it ends up being close to accurate. Hell yeah make the first big budget D&D movie a heist movie. Hell yeah. With Red Wizards and Degault “The Actual Worst” Neverember!? Yes!

I really hope that it’s at least close to that set up.

Mercurius

Legend
I think the key is having moderate to low expectations. The older D&D movies were bad for a number of reasons, including low budget and poor effects, terrible acting, a lame story, and overall silliness. Meaning, they were bad in every way. Worst-case scenario for this one and it is high budget with good effects and with at least decent acting, but with a vapid story and lacking any depth. In other words, at the very least it should entertain.

In fact, that is my assumption - especially considering that they are clearly trying to copy MCU. I'm not expecting ground-breaking cinema or any real depth. Meaning, we should expect Willow, not Excalibur.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That was my first thought as well, but I don't think Neverember, tyrant though he is, can be described as a "cheating conman." So either they're playing fast and loose with his character, or it's someone else. Either they invented their own Lord of Neverwinter, or the movie is set in some time period other than the present.
I’m fairly sure that in recent stuff, from the MMO to Dragon Heist, Neverember is indeed a cheating conman.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases