D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Synopsis Namechecks Harpers, Red Wizards, and Neverwinter [UPDATED - MAYBE NOT?]

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms. The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page. An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an...

A précis of the Dungeons & Dragons movie has appeared as part of its copyright registration, confirming it's set in the Forgotten Realms.

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

An ex-Harper turned thief escapes from prison with his partner, a female barbarian, and reunites with a no-talent wizard and a druid new to their team in an effort to rob the cheating conman who stole all their loot from the heist that landed them behind bars, and used it to install himself as the Lord of Neverwinter. Only the traitor is allied with a powerful Red Wizard who has something far more sinister in store.

UPDATE -- Screenrant reported on the same story but has since posted: "Screen Rant has confirmed the below Dungeons & Dragons movie synopsis is not accurate." They haven't said any more or indicated how they've confirmed that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think the key is having moderate to low expectations. The older D&D movies were bad for a number of reasons, including low budget and poor effects, terrible acting, a lame story, and overall silliness. Meaning, they were bad in every way. Worst-case scenario for this one and it is high budget with good effects and with at least decent acting, but with a vapid story and lacking any depth. In other words, at the very least it should entertain.

In fact, that is my assumption - especially considering that they are clearly trying to copy MCU. I'm not expecting ground-breaking cinema or any real depth. Meaning, we should expect Willow, not Excalibur.
Expectations firmly set to Thor 2 here.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Obviously, the movie has to be set in The Forgotten Realms. That is the only Dungeons and Dragons many of us know.
The majority of D&D games are run in homebrew worlds. There's zero requirement for it to be set in the Forgotten Realms, although that means they can move books immediately rather than going to the trouble of putting out movie-related settings, etc.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The majority of D&D games are run in homebrew worlds. There's zero requirement for it to be set in the Forgotten Realms, although that means they can move books immediately rather than going to the trouble of putting out movie-related settings, etc.
True, but a majority of homebrew is Forgotten Realms compatible, so having something in the Realns will appeal to fans of generic D&D.

Mercurius

Legend
Expectations firmly set to Thor 2 here.
That's the one with the dark elves, right? It was entertaining, but forgettable (like most such films, imo). I'm OK with that.

Now if they had declared that they were doing an epic D&D story like Tales of the Lance, I'd have higher expectations and hopes. For for a "fun D&D film," it really only has to be a 21st century Willow.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's the one with the dark elves, right? It was entertaining, but forgettable (like most such films, imo). I'm OK with that.

Now if they had declared that they were doing an epic D&D story like Tales of the Lance, I'd have higher expectations and hopes. For for a "fun D&D film," it really only has to be a 21st century Willow.
Yeah, Thor 2 is easily the worst MCU movie, and was an absolute mess behind the scenes. Still was pretty fun, only relevant because it feeds into better movies.

Based on the budget and talent involved, that seems to be the threshold even if it falls apart. But it could be more.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah, Thor 2 is easily the worst MCU movie, and was an absolute mess behind the scenes. Still was pretty fun, only relevant because it feeds into better movies.

Based on the budget and talent involved, that seems to be the threshold even if it falls apart. But it could be more.
Well, based upon what you've said in this thread, I think we have a different view on MCU, so will disagree on this, but for me, the gap between "best" and "worst" isn't huge. The "best" (imo) are big, flashy, effects-laden extravaganzas that are fun to watch but ultimately forgettable; the worst are the same, but not quite as fun (but still fun) and even more forgettable. Meaning, they serve their purpose during the two hours of watching (and I might watch the better ones again, a few years later).

Or to put it another way, my favorite MCU film probably Avengers, my least favorite maybe Guardians of the Galaxy. Out of five stars, I'd give the former 4, the latter 2.5, so that's a pretty narrow range. The vast majority of MCU films are in the 3 to 3.5 range.

Von Ether

Legend
I've already been primed for a fantasy heist film, thanks to this crew in Shadow and Bone.
SAB_Unit_04107RC.jpg

Remove ads

Remove ads