• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D PDA software?

Skullfyre

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
Yes, I'm making some progress. However, I have gotten some high priority work from a client that has slowd me down a bit. Sorry, but paying customers come first. I like having electricity and a roof over my head. :)

I will have the conversion completed and ready for PPC 2002 and 2003 devices by next week at the latest.

Take your time. haste makes a bad product..
Besides without electricity + No roof over head= no making proper program....

Besides it is understandable.
(gracious you updated us on status of program though.. much nicer then some places)

:D

Skullfyre

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
Yes, I'm making some progress. However, I have gotten some high priority work from a client that has slowd me down a bit. Sorry, but paying customers come first. I like having electricity and a roof over my head. :)

I will have the conversion completed and ready for PPC 2002 and 2003 devices by next week at the latest.

Take your time. haste makes a bad product..
Besides without electricity + No roof over head= no making proper program....

Besides it is understandable.
(gracious you updated us on status of program though.. much nicer then some places)

:D

Blastin

First Post
BeerSkunk said:

Cool...thanks for the update...and Like skullfire said...take your time and get the paying stuff done first;)

BeerSkunk

First Post
After I've completed the XML conversion for the PDA app, which of the following features would you like to see in a version 2.0?

1) Full 3.5 Rules implementation. This would give you the power of a desktop application for character creation on a PDA.

2) Graphical, Multi-User Combat Manager. This piece would include support for tile maps on the PDA that players and DMs could use to run combat. You would be able to see each other player's character on the screen, monsters, terrain, and support for fog of war all in real time.

3) Full support for E-Tools character import & export.

4) Other. Fill in the blank! What would YOU like to see?

I'm curious to see what features you're looking for. I'm also interested in reading about how you use, or would like to use, your PDA in a typical gaming session. I'd love to hear from both players and DMs.

Thanks!

WingOver

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
After I've completed the XML conversion for the PDA app, which of the following features would you like to see in a version 2.0?

1) Full 3.5 Rules implementation. This would give you the power of a desktop application for character creation on a PDA.

2) Graphical, Multi-User Combat Manager. This piece would include support for tile maps on the PDA that players and DMs could use to run combat. You would be able to see each other player's character on the screen, monsters, terrain, and support for fog of war all in real time.

Just out of curiousity, what's your timeline for completing these projects? They seem very ambitious and difficult (but cool).

Last edited:

BeerSkunk

First Post
WingOver said:
Just out of curiousity, what's your timeline for completing these projects? They seem very ambitious and difficult (but cool).

The project schedule is anywhere from 8-12 months for each of those projects. Therefore I am only asking people to choose one from the list. :)

The two projects you quote would take the longest to implement. In particular the graphical combat piece would take close to a year, but it would be a lot of fun to work on. I could complete the rules implementation in about 8-10 months. I've completed the majority of the 3.5 rules for a desktop application, and I can port those over to the PDA without much difficulty. The only time consuming portion of that project is redesigning the UI to handle custom classes, races, etc.

WingOver

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
The project schedule is anywhere from 8-12 months for each of those projects. Therefore I am only asking people to choose one from the list. :)

8 - 12 months?? d20 4.0 will be out by then. :p jk I understand about development schedules... I'm a software developer myself.

It seems like a PDA wouldn't be the ideal device for a combat map application since it has a small display. Can they even display 640 x 480?
And on the subject of combat mappers, I've read on various forums about people requesting this type of functionality. But it seems like it runs counter to the way most people play D&D (or at least the way my group plays). We gather around a tactical map and use minis. Using an electronic combat map seems more appropriate for distributed play (like over the internet).

It seems like the ideal application for PDAs at the table is for character sheet viewing and inventory management. Can PDAs support big databases and/or RAM requirments for more advanced tools (like character generation and combat maps)?

BeerSkunk

First Post
WingOver said:
And on the subject of combat mappers, I've read on various forums about people requesting this type of functionality. But it seems like it runs counter to the way most people play D&D (or at least the way my group plays). We gather around a tactical map and use minis. Using an electronic combat map seems more appropriate for distributed play (like over the internet).

I agree with you here. My group uses our trusty battlemap, wet erase markers, and mini's. This is one of those items that on the surface sounds cool, and it does sound cool, but once you probe a bit deeper you find that it actually hinders game-play rather than enhance it. I threw that one on the table to get people thinking about the possibilities.

WingOver said:
It seems like the ideal application for PDAs at the table is for character sheet viewing and inventory management.

From a player's perspective, I agree with you. On the other hand, I think there's quite a bit more a PDA could do for the DM.

WingOver said:
Can PDAs support big databases and/or RAM requirments for more advanced tools (like character generation and combat maps)?

Yes. Current PDA's are surprisingly powerful devices.

GodPhoenix said:
Will you be able to import characters from PCGen?

Yes. I'll support as many character generation programs as I can. As long as the program you're using can export character files to XML, then it will be possible to import it.

GodPhoenix

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
Yes. I'll support as many character generation programs as I can. As long as the program you're using can export character files to XML, then it will be possible to import it.

Excellente! I just checked your website to see if there were any DS Forgeworks PPC screenshots...any idea when you might have some? No hurry...I agree with Skullfyre: Haste makes a bad product.

Because of your responsiveness, I've bookmarked your website so that I remember to check it often ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads