• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D PDA software?

Lucias

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
iSilo is an excellent document reader, which allows you to create hyperlinked documents on your PDA from HTML source files. I've got 3e and d20modern SRD's which I've done myself and something based on the winning 3.5e SRD competition run on ENworld last year.

happy to share these with anyone that is interested.

Yes! I am extremely interested in the 3E SRD!

Would you be so kind as to put up a link?

I'd love to see if this would run on my Dell Axim X5, but I can't even install it because of a computer issue. I open up the Setup.exe, it says it's converting databases or something, and to be patient. I hit OK, and i get a pop-up warning that says:

"ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Logon Failed"
Not a valid file name.
OK/Cancel

Hitting okay prompts a Login screen with a login of admin and a blank password box. I have options of OK, Cancel, Database, and Help.

Nothin's working! :(

Thanks for all of your quick replies, this really sounds like it will be a useful thing for me as a player (as a DM, I really think my laptop'll serve me better for now... :) )

Blastin

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
After I've completed the XML conversion for the PDA app, which of the following features would you like to see in a version 2.0?

1) Full 3.5 Rules implementation. This would give you the power of a desktop application for character creation on a PDA.

2) Graphical, Multi-User Combat Manager. This piece would include support for tile maps on the PDA that players and DMs could use to run combat. You would be able to see each other player's character on the screen, monsters, terrain, and support for fog of war all in real time.

3) Full support for E-Tools character import & export.

4) Other. Fill in the blank! What would YOU like to see?

I'm curious to see what features you're looking for. I'm also interested in reading about how you use, or would like to use, your PDA in a typical gaming session. I'd love to hear from both players and DMs.

Thanks!

I'd like to see #1 the most, as it seems the most do-able right now, and would be VERY handy. I don't realy need the E-Tool support, as I have that software, think it's horrid, and want this as an alternative;)
Blastin

BeerSkunk

First Post
PPC 2003 Work-Around

Until the XML version is available, everyone using PDA's running PPC 2003 can try the following workaround submitted to me yesterday. I can't verify this myself, but my brother reproduced this several times using a new Dell Axim. This work-around will allow you to install the existing application on devices running Pocket PC 2003 OS.

NOTE: If you have ever tried to install DSF PPC on your handheld before there may be a file named "dsf" still on your device (should be in the My Documents folder). This will prevent the database conversion. You must delete this file before continuing.

The Steps:

1) Go through setup as normal. When it says Not a valid filename click OK.

2) This brings up the box with the admin login and requesting a login. Click DATABASE and in the left hand box click on dsf.mdb and then OK.

3) This will bring you back to the admin box. Don't enter anything, and Click OK. After a few moments setup resumes normally and the program should install correctly.

Hope this helps people out. Again, I haven't been able to verify this myself, so please let me know if this works for you or doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, please let me know and I will flog my brother repeatedly and without mercy.

Last edited:

BeerSkunk said:
Until the XML version is available, everyone using PDA's running PPC 2003 can try the following workaround submitted to me yesterday. I can't verify this myself, but my brother reproduced this several times using a new Dell Axim. This work-around will allow you to install the existing application on devices running Pocket PC 2003 OS.

Hope this helps people out. Again, I haven't been able to verify this myself, so please let me know if this works for you or doesn't. If it doesn't work for you, please let me know and I will flog my brother repeatedly and without mercy.

this actually worked out great, beerskunk. I got it installed and running on my Ax. I'll give it a test run soon and have my thoughts to share in this thread at some point :)

Thanks!

Skullfyre

First Post
BeerSkunk said:

Just wish I could get that too work..... (perhaps I am doing something wrong...)

I sent you an email with the screen shots as to what I see. perhaps you can figure it out...

I hope that update, the one that'll allow the Axim (X3) users to install, isn't too much futher off. I can't even get the program to install properly. It's given me a "Select Data Source" window and I haven't a clue where to 'point' it for the "File Data Source" it's apparently after, let alone what to type into the (apparently required) DSN Name line.

I find it ironicaly humorous that I was after a Dell Axim so that I could 'upgrade' my game-table software to something that covered the whole character sheet, and not just an increadibly slow and kludgy 'spellbook' app I'd been (not realy) using till now. With a bit of luck, mostly on the designer's side I admit, it'll be ready to download/install by the time I play again this coming Tuesday :p

Hatchling Dragon

BeerSkunk

First Post
Hatchling Dragon said:
I hope that update, the one that'll allow the Axim (X3) users to install, isn't too much futher off...

...With a bit of luck, mostly on the designer's side I admit, it'll be ready to download/install by the time I play again this coming Tuesday :p

Um, it's ready. I guess lady luck was looking my way this weekend. =)

I've done initial testing to make sure the thing doesn't crash or cause World War III. So far it hasn't done either. *ignores air raid siren*

So, despite the sickly, green glow emanating from my skin, all is ready for testing. I'm holding off on putting the update on my website until I've gotten a chance to play with it more fully this week. However, if you'd like to have an advance copy to test, please send me an email requesting a copy and I'll send it to you.

You can find my email address on my website.

Last edited:

Figures, I watch for updates here and at your Web Site religiously for a couple days, only to 'forget' till the last minute, and then find out there's been an update I could have downloaded/installed/prepared (ie: Loaded character ect) days ago. *sigh*

Hopefully I'll luck-out (again?) and you'll be checking this board and/or your E-mail when I send in my request :p

Hatchling Dragon

Blastin

First Post
BeerSkunk said:
Um, it's ready. I guess lady luck was looking my way this weekend. =)

I've done initial testing to make sure the thing doesn't crash or cause World War III. So far it hasn't done either. *ignores air raid siren*

So, despite the sickly, green glow emanating from my skin, all is ready for testing. I'm holding off on putting the update on my website until I've gotten a chance to play with it more fully this week. However, if you'd like to have an advance copy to test, please send me an email requesting a copy and I'll send it to you.

You can find my email address on my website.

Anyone tell me how this is working out? Would love to hear opinions of anyone who has tried the new version, as well as when it will be ready...
Blastin

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads