D&D General D&D without resource management

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think you can move from a daily or encounter based refresh of powers and still kind of feel like D&D. Use some kind of combo point, or cascading level of conditions, to enable martial abilities. ("Use this ability to inflict condition A. Use this different ability on a target with condition A to do more damage and inflict condition B.")

For casters, you could use a treasure-based system (convert gold into material components into spells, spells limited by material components). For either type, you could also use a level-based system (each level, you gain a certain amount of narrative currency to spend on effects. Sort of like the 3e system for making magic items, but your level is based on XP earned, not XP accumulated.)

I think moving away from HP, and making combat win/loss based on escalating conditions, would tilt the game away from feeling like D&D. That's just a gut feeling, but hit points feel like a sacred cow for D&D-like games.

nogray

Adventurer
That is interesting. Sounds arbitrary, but that may be based on you just giving a thumbnail. The idea that you have a resource that is "limited" by rare dice outcomes seems like it might work, but I can see that getting frustrating for players with cold dice.
Yeah. Part of the character build is spreading the triggers out so you have something you can do on various rolls. Also, if I recall correctly, a half-elf (?) can treat their d20 roll as if it were one less than its actual value, tweaking the "natural" roll scored. Choosing to possibly lower your to-hit by one (risking a miss) for the opportunity to trigger a certain maneuver always seemed like it would be interesting game play.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Just for clarity, does that mean you think daily resource management is a fundamental aspect of D&D being D&D? And if so, which resources? Hit points and spell points, certainly, but rations? Arrows?

Note that I am not being argumentative. I am honestly curious what you think.
Yes, some element of resource management is core to the D&D experience - mainly hit points and magic resources whether spells, potions, or charges of wands.
Rations and arrows are less iconic, but the game has always pretty much included them or allowed DMs to hand wave them, so any game that completely glosses over it would be losing a potential portion of the D&D experience and drifting over toward the "Not D&D" end of the "How D&D is it" spectrum.

aco175

Legend
I thought I made it pretty clear in the OP that there would be different ways of doing extra special things like spells and maneuvers.
I thought you wanted replies to the point of it still looking like D&D. Your jumping on my post does not sound like you are curious to what others think.

the Jester

Legend
Just for clarity, does that mean you think daily resource management is a fundamental aspect of D&D being D&D? And if so, which resources? Hit points and spell points, certainly, but rations? Arrows?
I think it is. Hps, spell slots/points, rations, ammunition, all of it- attrition is a fundamental part of the game (for me).

Clint_L

Hero
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but when I want to run a session with no resource management, I work a game of Dread into the campaign. I just change the stakes so that it isn't quite as deadly as a normal game of Dread (or more deadly, if it's a session 0). Then all we have to manage is a stack of Jenga blocks.

Remove ads