D&D 5E Dark Souls 5e Copy in Hand… Q&A

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I asked the co-creator this very question at Gary Con. The intention (whether it's communicated in the book or not, I cannot yet say) is that when you finish combat, your position drops down to either what it was before you rolled position if it is higher at the end of combat, or stays where it currently is, if it is lower than what it was before you rolled position.
Oh, so it’s just temp HP that lasts until the end of combat. Simple enough.

ephatman

Villager
Possibly a silly question, but how is the binding? Is it perfect bound or sewn? (If sewn, you should be able to see the string in the middle between certain pages.) Wondering because of the cost of the book (especially the collector's edition).

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Possibly a silly question, but how is the binding? Is it perfect bound or sewn? (If sewn, you should be able to see the string in the middle between certain pages.) Wondering because of the cost of the book (especially the collector's edition).

Good question, especially if you plan to use it at the table

TheSword

Legend
Right, as I understand that’s a general feature of Position and applies to both “permanent” and temporary Position.
So abilities that use position don’t consume it out of combat.

So if you have the great chaos fireball spell that normally consumes 3 position. If you use it to break down a door out of combat it still uses up charges of the spell but not the position cost.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The last page has the WOC Open Game Licence.

It is then followed by a copyright notice for Steamforged Games Ltd stating that no part of this product may be reproduced without specific permission.
Except, presumably, the Open Gaming Content?

TheSword

Legend
Except, presumably, the Open Gaming Content?
Presumably, otherwise that would take some cojones.

I suspect they never would have got the thing approved for the license if producing it meant opening it out to 3pp/DMGuild.

Unlike Level Up that has taken a more ethical stand (but also has the freedom to do so unlike Steamforged)

TheSword

Legend
Interestingly, what this isn’t is D&D hardcore mode.

• Position is nice but fundamentally no worse than hp, and in some cases will lead to more hp equivalents and healing than 5e.
  • Bloodied is a nice mechanic and boosts monsters but it also boosts PCs so not harder.
  • Classes aren’t weaker - they just lack the variance of subclass (with the exception of casters who are nerfed to hell - as befits a dark souls game) So not really harder, just different
  • Initiative rolls are interesting but it’s really still an initiative roll off, it just means the monsters is fixed. Plus PCs can act in whatever order they like so actually easier.
  • Limited equipment - weapons actually do more. Quite a bit more as standard. So not harder.

What actually makes the game harder is tougher monsters such as those in the back… which we can do in 5e as we stand now.

So all in all, my quest for a 5e hardcore mode continues…

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases