• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darth Vader: Alignment

Vader: What flavor of Evil?

• Lawful Evil. Bringing order to the galaxy!

Votes: 220 71.9%
  • Neutral Evil. You don't know the power of the Dark Side!

Votes: 67 21.9%
  • Chaotic Evil. Becoming more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of!

Votes: 19 6.2%

Hussar said:
On a side note, people have commented that Vader only kills when people fail him. How about an entire planet for no actual reason? Just to demonstrate the power of his new toy?

That was Tarkin, though, not Vader. (Though Vader certainly didn't object.)

Hussar

Legend
I'm just kinda wondering if a civilization as old as Star Wars wouldn't have a few laws about using WMD's and wiping out planets. If, as the Emperor's lackey, Vader is now above any laws, wouldn't that point to a heavily chaotic influence?

schporto

First Post
Hussar said:
I'm just kinda wondering if a civilization as old as Star Wars wouldn't have a few laws about using WMD's and wiping out planets. If, as the Emperor's lackey, Vader is now above any laws, wouldn't that point to a heavily chaotic influence?
It was a test range. Really it's not his fault the dolphins errr people didn't move out. I mean come on, the permits had been on public display in Courascant for 3 weeks in the Courscant Public Building #7584 west, floor 115.5, room 115-907. Geez. Someone could have checked....
-cpd

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich

To PUNISH them for their insubordination. To put them in their rightful place (e.g.: dead). He has evidence in his hands that the government supported basically acts of terrorism and treason right under their nose. As judge, jury, and executioner, their guilt is determined and their punishment meted out.

Hussar

Legend
Buh? What connection is there, other than the fact that Leia comes from that planet?

But, in any case, I was more responding to the idea that Vader only kills subordinates, and not indiscriminately. Blowing up a planet is pretty indiscriminate.

hexgrid

Explorer
Hussar said:
I have to admit, my first thought was LE. But, I did vote CE upon some reflection simply because the idea that you are above the law and a law unto yourself is a very Chaotic idea.

I don't think that obeying laws necessarily has anything to do with a lawful alignment. Are devils, the epitome of LE, law abiding citizens? No, they'd break or twist any law they thought they could get away with, even their own, and that doesn't make them chaotic.

A lawful alignment implies a strong interest in order, hierarchy, and self-disipline, but this my or may not involve following actual "laws." Some of the definitions for Lawful Evil implied in this thread are so strict that it couldn't exist even in D&D. All Evil becomes Neutral Evil if you analyze it long enough.

In D&D, all it really takes to be Lawful Evil instead of Chaotic Evil is that your armies advance in well ordered columns instead of swarming hordes. It's all about the trappings, and both Vader and the Empire he operates in have them all.

Hussar said:
But, in any case, I was more responding to the idea that Vader only kills subordinates, and not indiscriminately. Blowing up a planet is pretty indiscriminate.

Uh, once again, not Vader. Not his idea, not his order. He just sort of watched.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads