• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI, are you ready to game on the Net?

Are you ready to play DND over the net with DDI?

• Yes

Votes: 88 45.8%
  • No

Votes: 71 37.0%
  • On the fence

Votes: 33 17.2%

• Poll closed .

Will

First Post
I voted 'no.'

I play online all the time, on chat, on MUSH, and so forth. I have absolutely no need for DDI to help me; I already have Maptools if I want, but even then I mainly use it when I run sessions just to help remind me where folks are; other folks are happy just hearing descriptions.

None of the other functions interest me for online play, and I definitely don't want to play $15 a month for access to gamerules when I'm used to having them either free or in the stack by my desk for a one-time cost.

Utterly, utterly uninterested in DDI, and annoyed that it seems to be sucking up all their plans for PDFs and the like.

D'karr

Adventurer
Aria Silverhands said:
That's a pretty stupid thing to do when playing online with voice chat is becoming more popular and as broadband access becomes better, you can use video chat software as well.

Just because it is popular does not necessarily make it good. Nothing can really replace the feeling of sitting around a table with a bunch of friends rolling dice, eating chips and BS'ing. No matter how good the virtual tools, they will never capture that feeling. For an entirely "hobby" activity that feeling is much more important than anything else.

I game to get together with friends and do something we all enjoy. Most of the enjoyment comes from getting together, the game at that point is ancilliary.

I've never gamed online (Tabletop or in any kind of multi-player Video game) I don't see any reason to start now.

Of course some of the reason for that is my unique circumstances:

I have a very stable, weekly game group. We've been together as a group for 15 years, although a few people have moved away and been replaced. The current line up (which still has 3 from the original) has been together for 7 years.

The wife games. So I never have to go searching for roleplaying opportunities; we do solo stuff all the time.

Gaming is a time for friends to get together face to face. Gaming is why we come together, but it isn't the most important thing. So I would have very little reason for an online game.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
I already play on the net, and I am hoping with a little work I could even bypass DDI altogether, however, if DDI does pan out and does some of the nice stuff they promise I'll likely go that route. One of the things that makes DDI a bit better than FG2 right now is that I could give out guest passes to friends, so they don't have to lay out any cash to play in a game.

Zil

Explorer
dema said:
So are you ready to get your game going on the net? are you going to hook up with those long lost and far away folks you used to play with?
Nope. My old gaming crowd that moved away a long time ago to the ends of the earth is a cynical bunch and very few of them are planning on paying into a subscription model for DDI. For that matter, some of them missed out entirely on 2E and 3E. However, a few of us have been trying over the past month or so to get some kind of on-line D&D game going using some of the RP Tools utilities and some other communication tools. The on-line game is probably going to be using the 3.x rules, but there's an outside possibility we might revert back to the 2E or 1E rules.

As for my current local group - no plans at all to use any aspect of DDI or 4E at this time. That's a 3.5 game which is probably going to slide into a Pathfinder game.

Mort_Q

First Post
I would like to try playing with my local group with maybe a laptop or three instead of battlemats etc.

I may DM for my nephews and my friends kids in a kid friendly game online.

I'm looking forward to trying anyway. I won't know till I do.

broghammerj

Explorer
Nebulous said:
I feel much the same way, i would rather game face to face.

I think all of us would rather game face to face. This affords us the opportunity to game with old groups. These are friends I talk to on the phone and visit from time to time, but are people I never play with.

A online interaction would allow for us to get together and enjoy a game. I am less thrilled about gaming with new people online. This is more an opportunity to reconnect with old friends and play the hobby we loved for years.

ironvyper

First Post
I'm definately looking forward to the Virtual gaming table and DDI. Getting together with my original group again is a huge attraction for me. I'm still in touch with most of the people i gamed with back in high school when we started but we have since scattered across the globe literally from Iraq (hope he can play sometimes) to Alaska.

Other then that though, i absolutely hate drawing out maps and messing with maptiles. So since almost everyone has a laptop now i am planning on using the vtt with my real group as well. Make up all the maps ahead of time, let a computer keep track of all the math, especially all these rediculous tiny bonuses from auras that 4e seems to love, and just focus on having fun in the game.

Maybe its just me but i remember going to cyber cafes and stuff playing counter strike, EQ, and command and conquer with a bunch of freinds all with computers infront of them and having a blast. So thats what i am shooting for with the DDI. My regular group should still get together face to face, but now instead of a pile of papers scattered everywhere we each just have a nice neat computer screen and let the rest of the table be used for snacks and beer.

Something that i dont think i have heard anyone mention either is i can foresee this allowing me as a DM to really be another player at the table rather then a referee and calculater. I can set up nearly everything ahead of time and just focus on actually running NPCs and making whatever rules adjudications are neccesary.

I just wish it could be switched from 4e rules to use the 3e ruleset.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads