DDM: Chicks not in chainmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawsplay

Hero
Ok, so I understand the male:female 2:1 gender ratio probably represents some market realities. I get that some people think adventuring is a fairly masculine profession, although I feel PCs should be free to be exceptional.

Now, I get peeved. In the entire first series, there is not a single female human fighter, warlord, barbarian, or paladin. In fact, there is only one female of this type at all, an eladrin fighter. There are also a female eladrin sorcerer and a wizard. There is a female elf druid. There are no female humans at all.

In other words, women have been almost totally relegated to the "staff chick" role, and on top of that, exist only for exotic non-human races.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Human females are a myth. Human males only breed with the elf girls that have cha 18, every D&D player knows that.

Jack7

First Post
Personally, I like chicks best in see-through Chainmail. Though fully downsizeable Scale Mail is good too. But if you get Leather wet and then let it dry again it gets really tight and that works out nice too. Studded leather is okay but I'm not much into body piercings. I had to take a trip to the infirmary in college one time that way.

I'd say anytime you mix chicks and some form of male it works out swell in most circumstances. So I say don't get peeved PP, just reassess your priorities. But that's just me.

On a more serious note though I'd like to see more Elven chicks and more sorceresses in glass slippers and maybe some tasteful evening wear. I'd also like to see a dwarf chick with a short beard (less is more) and a jeweled cummerbund. But then again I don't make the rules, do I?

Nai_Calus

First Post
The first sets make do with what they had for the cancelled Feywild set and some reused sculpts, as I recall.

There also aren't any male Eladrin at all. Every single Eladrin in the first sets is female. Male Eladrin have been relegated to the role of not existing. Just an example.

There are a lot of gaps. Races that only have one gender represented, races that aren't present at all, classes you can't properly portray(I think every single one of them with a sword has a shield or is using the sword two-handed, not very useful for Swordmages, is that)...

Nothing really to take offense to, there's no real agenda here.

(Of course, the thing with almost everything with a sword being either using it two-handed or with a shield isn't limited to WotC. I have just as hard a time finding a suitable male pointy-ear with a sword in one hand and the other empty with, say, Reaper.)

pawsplay

Hero
I didn't say there was an agenda. I just find it puzzling they decided that out of eighteen figures, none of them needed to be a female human.

Peter Lee

First Post
There were several human females in Against the Giants: Golden Wyvern Initiate, Mighty Blademaster, and the Captain of the Watch.

For Male Eladrin, we had the Eladrin Pyromancer in Against the Giants, and the Bralani in Dungeons of Dread.

As this and the next set were designed with the completely random model in mind, the miniatures were chosen to fit into that model. The old set lists were also chosen to have more monsters and fewer PCs, hence the repainted figures. For the first heroes set, we only needed to pick up one female, and the repainted drow as eladrin was the most compelling figure that I could supply. (I wish all the repaints could have such a great secondary use as a disguised Drow.)

The selection of miniatures -- both the Heroes sets and the Monsters sets -- will definitely get better when the miniatures are designed with the new distribution model. I am really excited for the future of miniatures -- it's gonna be awesome.

Nebten

First Post
Ok, so I understand the male:female 2:1 gender ratio probably represents some market realities.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are stating that the ratio of RP gamers is 2:1 male:female? That's quite an understandment. Maybe more along the lines of 10:1.

In any case, you are right. We need to bust out more female dwarves and half-orcs! Maybe some dragonborn for good mesure. After all, its what the public wants. :cool:

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm against baby chickens in chainmail. For one I doubt they could even move in it.

I'm hoping that they will eventually have a fig for each class of every race and sex available some time down the line. I also agree that 2:1 is really low. Maybe 10:1 if not 15:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads