DDM: Chicks not in chainmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankthedm

First Post
Thankfully, DDM has generally avoided cheesecake minis, at least as far as I know. I mean, it would be a little ridiculous to try to pander with 'sexy' pieces of plastic that are an inch tall.
Seems to be doing ok in metal... http://www.reapermini.com

As far as wotc minis go, the Lillend puts the "DD" in DDM and also don't forget Battle bikini Rikka the Angelic avenger.
Mark said:
Originally Posted by Huw
We've had "Human Commoner", "Sage", "Farmer" and even "Drunken Brawler" to provide decent NPCs, but not a single female.
Don't forget the Prisoner (also male) which works well as an NPC (and is a very unlikely choice for a PC). :)
Yeah... thing is if wotc had made "victim" and Non Combatant minis female, I think there would have been more eyebrows raised.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are stating that the ratio of RP gamers is 2:1 male:female? That's quite an understandment. Maybe more along the lines of 10:1.

Actually, I was just stating that 2:1 probably reflected what people were likely to buy. But while we're on the subject, I have played in very few groups that did not have at least one woman. I have also dated very few women who did not game. 10:1 is a fantasy, that would be like me assuming D&D players are 80% Hispanic because I played in a group that was.

When you consider that many men prefer not to game with women, it's not difficult to imagine how it might be more difficult to find women gamers, but they are definitely out there. IME, gamers who are old enough to have been at it a while, but not old enough to be actual grognards from the 70s and early 80s, are definitely a male majority but not what I would call male-dominated.

pawsplay

Hero
Aside from the excellent point that there are 510 potential combinations (although I bet they'll focus on the "optimized" combos first (like hafling rogues)), remember that a tremendous variety of miniatures are available in the broader market.
If the gripe is about WotC, well, I've got nothing. But if you want some particular combo, you can sure find it or something close enough to modify with a littlle green-stuff

The issue, for me, is not finding every potential combo. The issue is, how about one female human who is holding a sword? The closest thing in the whole set is one female eladrin fighter (who does not look human, really).

Assuming you went human, elf/eladrin, tiefling, dwarf, halfling, dragonborn, goliath; made one male and one female each and for each offered an obviously martial character and one character who might be a spellcaster, you end up with 7 x 2 x 2 = 28 figures. They could be more than half-done with the first set.

One figure that is in armor and holding a weapon, and another figure that is wearing lighter clothing and gesturing, could reasonably cover just about any human female character you want, whether warlock, rogue, or fighter.

Aus_Snow

First Post
10:1 is a fantasy, that would be like me assuming D&D players are 80% Hispanic because I played in a group that was.
Agreed. In all seriousness, 19:1 is probably about right. In reality, that is. In the real world in general. That kind of thing.

The only time I hear people claiming anything *too* far from that sort of ratio, or implied 'ratio' anyway, to be the case, is on interweb forums. . . ones that are themselves extremely heavily dominated by. . . yep, guys. Hilarious, really. :lol:

Dragonbait

Explorer
female miniatures = female players

While the 10:1 might be closer than 2:1 for female PLAYERS (IME, it's more like 6:1, but I digress) we are assuming that characters are the same gender as their players. While that is often true, it's hardly an absolute. Heck, I game online with one troupe that contains around 12 players. Of those 12, 2 are female. Most have mutiple characters. I'm one of two males who only play male characters. Most other males in the group play females at least half the time, and there are a handful who ONLY play females. The female players play male characters about half the time.

So male to female miniatures being at 2:1 is a fair assessment for the groups I game with.

amysrevenge

First Post
IME, gamers who are old enough to have been at it a while, but not old enough to be actual grognards from the 70s and early 80s, are definitely a male majority but not what I would call male-dominated.

To go a bit further...

In my local RPGA club (population 40 or so members), I would imagine that the population is roughly normally distributed, with mean: 30 and standard deviation: 6 at a guess. In non math-talk, the vast majority of people in my club are between 20 and 40 in age.

The ratio of male:female club members is something like 10:1, give or take. Among the subset of club members who are regular DMs, the ratio is skewed back a bit, more like 5:1.

I've played in a few other cities with other RPGA clubs in the past, and the trends tend to be the same. Fewer females involved, but those who are involved tend to take more leadership roles.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Out of the two campaigns I run, the ratio is 6 men : 6 women. That's obviously atypical, and I think 10:1 is a closer estimate.

To get this back on topic, those six women (and most of the men) complain vociferously about the lack of clothed, heroic miniatures for their female characters.

Darksword miniatures makes some good female minis. There is a lot of great cheesecake there, but also some really good sculpts with decent clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads