• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Deepening Warlock customization, and it's mechanical implications

I honestly hate Otherworldly Leap. I think it has no place being a level 9 invocation, when at that level other casters can cast Fly. Even compared to Ascendant Step it doesn't make sense.

Its sole advantage is that Jump doesn't take concentration whereas Levitate does.

It's not much of an advantage though unless you're in a Tarzan-like jungle with vines and trees everywhere. But making vertically complicated environments is tough to do in D&D; TotM doesn't do complication well, and battlemats don't do vertical well.

Ganymede81

First Post
I honestly hate Otherworldly Leap. I think it has no place being a level 9 invocation, when at that level other casters can cast Fly. Even compared to Ascendant Step it doesn't make sense.

I think Ascendant Step and Otherworldly Leap have the same level prerequisite because, while Levitate is a higher level spell than Jump, Jump is not a concentration spell. I do agree that it doesn't seem right, though.

Levitate is overrated since it only allows you to move slowly up and Down. It's situationally useful but not something you really need to be able to cast at will. Jump at will on the other hand allows for tactical movement, and since it doesn't require concentration it can be used in combat without conflicting With the other spells you want to cast.

I'd never take Ascendant step on any character except for roleplaying reasons, but I can see myself taking otherwordly leap for some builds. It should be great for getting a bladelock into melee or a squishy eldritch blaster onto some high perch where melee enemies can't target her.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
A couple of new invocations I've been considering to broaden those for the Pact of the Chain, since Tome and Blade seem to be pretty well covered.

Channel through the Chain
Prerequisite: 12th level, Pact of the Chain feature
You have learned to channel greater arcane energies through your connection to your familiar. You can now cast any spell through your familiar, rather than just spells with a range of touch. In addition, any time you benefit from a spell, you can choose for your familiar to receive the same benefit.

This opens up some strategies for the battlefield. Get some distance from your familiar, both hide, familiar fires an eldritch blast to draw the enemy's attention, then confuse them when you start flinging spells from a different direction. Also, if you have mage armor, now your familiar has mage armor too. If you have blur or greater invisibility cast on you, now your familiar benefits too. Cure spell cast your way? You familiar heals too.

Share the Load
Prerequisite: 15th level, Pact of the Chain feature
You have imprinted your arcane talents upon your familiar. When you cast a spell that requires concentration, your familiar can concentrate on the spell on your behalf. This concentration can be disrupted as normal if your familiar takes damage or is subject to effects that might otherwise disrupt it. Your familiar makes its own Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration. Once you use this power, you must finish a long rest before you can use it again.

Warlocks don't get many spell slots, so using two spells in an encounter that require concentration may not happen all that often. But still, if you have a warlock that tends to get into the thick of it, you could have the familiar concentrate and then go hide.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Battle Minion
Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Chain feature
Your familiar has become more aggressive than other familiars. Your familiar may now take the Attack action on its turn. In addition, when it makes a melee attack, it adds your proficiency bonus to its attack roll and damage roll.

For some reason in 5e, familiars are not allowed to make the attack action. This is made even more stupid (IMO) with the additional familiar options you get with Pact of the Chain. So this invocation is meant to address that.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Lloth's Kiss
Prerequisite: 9th level
The mark of a black widow appears on your forehead, and you gain the mobility of a spider. You can cast the spider climb spell on yourself at will without requiring material components. In addition, you are immune to the affects of the web spell.

Personally, not sure about the web spell immunity. Seems more like a ribbon affect, because it is specific to the web spell, and not web effects. But also seems fitting.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Ok, here's one I thought of that I thought would be pretty cool, but I'm not sure about a level prerequisite or if it's appropriate.

Fist of the Infernal Dreadnought
Prerequisite: 12th level
You transform your body in a hulking brute, able to destroy structures with your fists. When you take this invocation, you can cast Enlarge/Reduce on yourself at will without requiring material components. You can only use the Enlarge version of this spell on yourself. In addition, your attacks deal double damage to objects and structures.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Reflect Spell
Prerequisites: 9th level, Counterspell
When you cast Counterspell, you can choose to reflect the spell back upon the caster rather than just nullify the spell. When you do this, the spell is treated as normal and all numerical effect remain as they would, but the target changes to the original caster.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads