D&D 5E "Delay" in 5e

Verys Arkon

First Post
We've noticed that there is no 'Delay' action in 5e PH (or maybe I've missed it!). There are instances where a player wants to see how the action unfolds before acting, and 'Ready' isn't what the are looking to do.

Are there any unintended consequences to House Ruling Delay?

Thanks,
Verys

Shiroiken

Legend
It was removed to make the combat simpler, and now nothing changes the initiative order once set. The only consequence is the need to change the initiative order.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I always thought the implication was that you can go anytime after your initiative roll. Want to delay? Sure.

Personally, the way I handle initiative (and have for decades) is that as the DM, I just call out, "Everyone above X (where x=monster imitative segment) can go." There is no need to go through all the numbers that way, and the players can decide whatever order they want for those PCs that got higher than X without needing to specify a delay action. Then I do my action, then I say, "OK, everyone else can go."

It's simple and easy.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I always thought the implication was that you can go anytime after your initiative roll. Want to delay? Sure.

Personally, the way I handle initiative (and have for decades) is that as the DM, I just call out, "Everyone above X (where x=monster imitative segment) can go." There is no need to go through all the numbers that way, and the players can decide whatever order they want for those PCs that got higher than X without needing to specify a delay action. Then I do my action, then I say, "OK, everyone else can go."

It's simple and easy.

I'm glad it works for you, but that sounds like utter screaming chaos. I do agree that ready/delay tends to be overthought, though. At my table, whatever edition I'm using, they're the same thing and they just means the PC's waiting for something. When that something happens, the PC either interrupts it or goes immediately after, whichever he wants, and his initiative updates to the new position. Easy peasy.

I actually had a Pathfinder DM deny me a readied action to hit a giant with a spell when he emerged from his cave because he never quite came out from under the lip of the entrance. He was in full view; he just stood in the opening. Stupid rule.

Warbringer

Explorer
I actually had a Pathfinder DM deny me a readied action to hit a giant with a spell when he emerged from his cave because he never quite came out from under the lip of the entrance. He was in full view; he just stood in the opening. Stupid rule.

That's not a problem with the rule.

I'm also in the camp of want to delay then just do it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm glad it works for you, but that sounds like utter screaming chaos. .

It's not at all.

Me: "Ok, everyone above 14 can go."
player 1: that's me
player 2: me too
player 3: same here
player 4: not me.
Me: OK, what do you guys (player 1-3) do?

then they just tell me, and we don't worry about exact order for those who went first. They just go. Most often we just go around the table unless someone wants to do something special.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It's not at all.

then they just tell me, and we don't worry about exact order for those who went first. They just go. Most often we just go around the table unless someone wants to do something special.

Utter screaming chaos. :lol:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I understand what you're saying, but by the RAW he was completely within his rights. My only recourse was to flip the table.

Have I mentioned I don't play anymore? I don't play anymore. I only run.

Run.

And flip tables.

It's not at all.

I experienced this for the first time at Gen Con this year. From the player side, it felt like utter screaming chaos. We didn't know what we were supposed to to or what was expected. We started tracking our own initiative. I think I saw a dog and cat living together under our table.

Thaumaturge.

Crothian

First Post

This is what I do at the weekly game. It speeds the game up and it is easy for everyone to do what they need to do. When running games at a con though because I don't know the players and it is usually louder I take each person's turn one at a time. Different groups need to be handled differently.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases