D&D 5E Designer apathy and sunk costs, The reason the sorcerer is doomed to uncanny valley one-trick-ponieness.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Wait a second....Is the OP the same one who a few days ago said he/she wanted the sorcerer to pretty much do everything the wizard does, but refused to play a wizard because they wanted INT as a dump stat? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Nope. That's MoonSong(Kaiilurker).

They have a very, very, very narrow character concept they wish to play, and apparently doesn't want to play any other. And the fact that they can't play this specific character they created for a previous edition in exactly the same way in 5E is an issue for them. Enough so that every sorcerer thread is a chance for them to comment that they can't.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't have the issues with the sorcerer that the OP has (at least, I'm not sure, because there's some vague up in there), but I do have the issue that if you want to go with a theme, the spell list choices are very narrow and exclude some spell that would be very thematic but, for some reason, aren't on the list. It's very difficult, for instance, to be a thematic blaster with any element other than fire -- or, more to the point, you would have dramatically fewer options to represent your theme than the fire blaster has. While a large part of that is the overall spell selections being limited (there just aren't any 2nd level lightening spells), there are a number of notable exceptions where a thematic element spell is on the wizard list but not the sorcerer list. Given that one of the major archetypes of sorcerer is the thematic blaster under the dragon heritage bloodline, that's annoying. Not gamebreaking, but very annoying.

Elemental Evil Players Companion fixes that issue of lack of blaster spells for a Sorcerer. Not only is EE AL approved, but the player's guide with all those spells is a free download.

Here is the list of additional sorcerer spells:

Cantrips (0 Level)
Create bonfire (conjuration)
Control flames (transmutation)
Frostbite (evocation)
Gust (transmutation)
Mold earth (transmutation)
Shape water (transmutation)
Thunderclap (evocation)

1st Level
Catapult (transmutation)
Ice knife (conjuration)
Earth tremor (evocation)

2nd Level
Aganazzar’s scorcher (evocation)
Dust devil (conjuration)
Earthbind (transmutation)
Maximilian’s earthen grasp (transmutation)
Pyrotechnics (transmutation)
Snilloc’s snowball swarm (evocation)
Warding wind (evocation)

3rd Level
Erupting earth (transmutation)
Flame arrows (transmutation)
Melf’s minute meteors (evocation)
Wall of water (evocation)

4th Level
Storm sphere (evocation)
Vitriolic sphere (evocation)
Watery sphere (conjuration)

5th Level
Control winds (transmutation)
Immolation (evocation)

6th Level
Investiture of flame (transmutation)
Investiture of ice (transmutation)
Investiture of stone (transmutation)
Investiture of wind (transmutation)

8th Level
Abi-Dalzim’s horrid wilting (necromancy)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Wait a second....Is the OP the same one who a few days ago said he/she wanted the sorcerer to pretty much do everything the wizard does, but refused to play a wizard because they wanted INT as a dump stat? Or am I thinking of someone else?
Do you mean this post?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471221-The-Sorcerer-s-Spells-OR-Do-we-want-another-magic-class&p=6740712&viewfull=1#post6740712

Nope. That's MoonSong(Kaiilurker).

Er...MoonSong(Kaiilurker) is the OP for this thread.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Elemental Evil Players Companion fixes that issue of lack of blaster spells for a Sorcerer. Not only is EE AL approved, but the player's guide with all those spells is a free download.

Here is the list of additional sorcerer spells:

Cantrips (0 Level)
Create bonfire (conjuration)
Control flames (transmutation)
Frostbite (evocation)
Gust (transmutation)
Mold earth (transmutation)
Shape water (transmutation)
Thunderclap (evocation)

1st Level
Catapult (transmutation)
Ice knife (conjuration)
Earth tremor (evocation)

2nd Level
Aganazzar’s scorcher (evocation)
Dust devil (conjuration)
Earthbind (transmutation)
Maximilian’s earthen grasp (transmutation)
Pyrotechnics (transmutation)
Snilloc’s snowball swarm (evocation)
Warding wind (evocation)

3rd Level
Erupting earth (transmutation)
Flame arrows (transmutation)
Melf’s minute meteors (evocation)
Wall of water (evocation)

4th Level
Storm sphere (evocation)
Vitriolic sphere (evocation)
Watery sphere (conjuration)

5th Level
Control winds (transmutation)
Immolation (evocation)

6th Level
Investiture of flame (transmutation)
Investiture of ice (transmutation)
Investiture of stone (transmutation)
Investiture of wind (transmutation)

8th Level
Abi-Dalzim’s horrid wilting (necromancy)

Okay, I'll bite, which of those get the bonus to damage from Dragonblood if you choose Blue dragon as your bloodline? What about a Green dragon? It does add a bit for Whites, true. But it adds even more for Reds, who already had the most selection of spells to begin with (with a fire spell at almost every level in the PHB).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'll toss my lot in with current sorcerer players who are enjoying the sorcerer.

Heck, one of my games has two sorcerers in it - a wild and a dragon - and we are distinct and varied.

Wild sorcerers surge about as much as the DM wants, so I've never had an issue with surges (I'd like to do it a bit more, but I'm surging about 1/session or more, so I'm content)

Extra spells are basically unnecessary.

Definitely not feeling inferior to other casters.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Er...MoonSong(Kaiilurker) is the OP for this thread.

Heh heh... actually, my 'Nope' was in reference to the last part of the question-- "Or am I thinking of someone else?". Nope, Sacrosanct wasn't thinking of someone else, they were thinking of MoonSong(Kaiilurker). :)

>>>
"Wadsworth, am I right in thinking there is nobody else in this house?"
"No."
"So there IS someone else in this house?"
"No, sorry, I meant 'No' meaning 'Yes'."
"'No' meaning 'Yes'? Look, I just want a clear answer, is there someone else, or isn't there, Yes or No?"
"Uh, no."
"No there IS, or no there ISN'T?"
"Yes."

Sacrosanct

Legend
Okay, I'll bite, which of those get the bonus to damage from Dragonblood if you choose Blue dragon as your bloodline? What about a Green dragon? It does add a bit for Whites, true. But it adds even more for Reds, who already had the most selection of spells to begin with (with a fire spell at almost every level in the PHB).

Thunderclap and stormsphere off the top of my head. I only know those because I have a tempest cleric and I convinced my DM to have those as domain spells ;)

As far as green dragon, how many poison spells are there in total, regardless if they are sorcerer or wizard? I.e., how does the sorcerer get shorted any more than a wizard for poison spells?

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Stop denigrating those one-trick-ponies by accusing them of nagligency! "Nag" is an insult to equines. For blame!
:cool:

Remove ads