• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deuce Traveler's Campy Ptolus Adventure (Palace of the Silver Princess)

Erekose13

Explorer
CB, Savage Species has rules on making your own anthropomorphic race if want to go that way.

Regarding my own stereotype, I think I'll pull a Merlin/Tim the Sorceror/something from a Mel Brooks fill. Knows all arrogant wizard who answers in seemingly cryptic riddles, but really they don't make much sense at all. Trying to avoid just core as I've played them all to death, some ideas include Warlock or Incarnate or Psion.

Mista Collins

First Post
The ideas tossed out there so far would make for a very interesting group. I don't think I've seen this amount of cheesiness in one campaign. I love it.

Time to get some of the crunchy stuff together. If you want me to post it Deuce, just let me know.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Which book is the Incarnate out of? I may have to borrow that from a friend, but no big deal. Please post your characters here, but be prepared to edit any backgrounds you create. We do have to explain your characters' prior adventures in Ptolus and connection to the party, after all.

Erekose13 said:
CB, Savage Species has rules on making your own anthropomorphic race if want to go that way.

Thank you, I'll look into that. I don't own that book and the person I know who does have it probably schlepped it off to the desert with the rest of his D&D stuff when he deployed. I may have to make a trip to the bookstore, I guess.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
CanadienneBacon said:
Thank you, I'll look into that. I don't own that book and the person I know who does have it probably schlepped it off to the desert with the rest of his D&D stuff when he deployed. I may have to make a trip to the bookstore, I guess.

Or come up with it on your own. Just look at the sample races that people normally play, post its racial stats, and we can decide as a group what LA it is. Or just pick the stats for a race like an elf or half-elf, adjust the languages and description, and say that it's really a fox-man.

Anthropomorphic Fox

Small Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: as a bard (d6)
Initiative: TBD
Speed: 30
Armor Class: TBD (+1 natural armor, +1 size)
Base Attack Bonus: as a bard
Attack: as a bard
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Bite 1d4 + dexterity modifier
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: as a bard
Abilities: +2 Dex, -2 Con
Skills: as a bard
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (bite)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: TBD
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: TBD

A bipedal fox stands before you, the black tip of its tail standing out against the russet of its thick orange fur. Wily green eyes slant in your direction and the creature bows low when you come near. Oozing charm, the fox unctuously smiles and lips its lips with eager anticipation as it greets you. "Salutations, most angelic and plump chicken. Welcome to my hen house...I'd love to have you for supper. Why don't you stay a while, make yourself at home?" The fox spreads its hands wide in welcome and licks its lips a second time.

[sblock=Notes]I previewed Savage Species via amazon.com and was able to browse the entire anthropomorphic animals section. Much of the character hinges on its size category; a fox is smaller than a dog but larger than a cat. Cats are size Small. Dogs are size Medium. Cats come with LA +1, according to Savage Species. Dogs come with LA +2. I went with size Small because I wanted the lower LA, but also because (again, according to the anthropomorphic animal section in Savage Species), a monstrous humanoids whose size is Small may use their character classes's skills, feats, HD, BAB progression, and saves rather than the MM's entries for the same. I'd like to play a bard, so this seems like a lot less accounting. All monstrous humanoids have darkvision 60 ft, are bipedal, and may retain the natural attacks of the base creature. Many animals have the weapon finesse feat, so I gave the fox weapon finesse. And, judging from the foxes I've seen in person in the past, they're skittery little creatures with keen eyes and ears, so I gave the fox Alertness as well.[/sblock]

Last edited:

The above is my attempt at an anthropomorphic fox to play as my Robin Hood PC. I'd love it if anyone would vet my concept and post comments.

And I'll certainly understand if no one but me is at all interested. :D

A very good alternative for the fox's character class might be ranger with the ranged weapon specialization. I don't want to count my eggs before they hatch (let the puns begin!) but if someone else is selected for bard, I could certainly be content going ranger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads