• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deuce Traveler's Campy Ptolus Adventure (Palace of the Silver Princess)

Autumn

First Post
Just a little advice on the fox: you're probably making things harder for yourself by giving it feats (Weapon Finesse and Alertness) since playable races only have certain pre-allocated feats if they come with monstrous HD (and actually even then I believe you're entitled to choose different feats when you're making a player character of that race; those feats are just the standard ones that NPC members of the race have picked for their monstrous HD).

I assume that you'd rather have a race with no HD, just (possibly) an ECL adjustment. In which case you'd be better off scrapping the feats. You could still give a +2 to Spot and Listen in order to represent the fox's natural alertness.

If on the other hand you did for some reason want a race with monstrous HD, then those HD should be Monstrous Humanoid levels; hence the HD, saves, attack bonus and skills would all be as a Monstrous Humanoid, not as a Bard.

Also, might be worth considering a +2 Int (the spell is called Fox's Cunning after all :p), probably with a -2 Wis to balance it out.

Sorry for sticking my oar in if it was unwanted, just thought I'd throw out my thoughts on the race.

I've read up on Ptolus; thanks for giving me a reason to do it, Deuce Traveler, it seems like a really interesting setting. :)

Should hopefully have my paladin posted tonight.

Thanks for the input. Right now, because the fox is size small, it actually has no monstrous hit dice. That's due to a weird vagary in Savage Species that anthropomorphic animals are all considered monstrous humanoids but only the medium and large one retain their monstrous humanoid HD. A small anthropomorphic animal, while still a monstrous humanoid, uses its class for HD, saves, skills, etc. It does, however, retain weapon finesse for its natural attack(s).

I'd actually prefer LA (did you mean LA when you said ECL?) of +0 and am considering which elements to ditch so I can have what I want without the baggage of a +1 LA. I could see scrapping the natural armor, and both the weapon finesse and alertness feats. Foxes, IMO, should have either darkvision or low-light vision, though.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I would say that a LA +0 fox-man would have a +2 in one ability, -2 in another. He would gain a natural +2 skill bonus to two different skills, perhaps stealthy or detection ones. He would be small in size, but fast enough to move 30 feet as a base land speed. He could have darkvision of 60 feet. No natural attacks or automatic feats.

Mista Collins

First Post
Deuce Traveler said:
I would say that a LA +0 fox-man would have a +2 in one ability, -2 in another. He would gain a natural +2 skill bonus to two different skills, perhaps stealthy or detection ones. He would be small in size, but fast enough to move 30 feet as a base land speed. He could have darkvision of 60 feet. No natural attacks or automatic feats.

That looks good to me. I would have done the same.

You going to go bard CB? I might make Carl a rogue with some ranks in Perform(comedy) if you still want to go with the "foxy" bard.

Erekose13

Explorer
Deuce Traveler said:
Which book is the Incarnate out of? I may have to borrow that from a friend, but no big deal. Please post your characters here, but be prepared to edit any backgrounds you create. We do have to explain your characters' prior adventures in Ptolus and connection to the party, after all.

Incarnate is from Magic of Incarnum. I'll work on a warlock for now, but if you are okay with Incarnate I'll switch to that as I'm curious to see how they play.

Erekose, I'm not sure re: bard vice ranger. I may just go ranger. I'll re-read through the thread to see who's thinking what class. If someone doesn't beat me to it when I'm done reading through, I'll edit this post to contain a list of interested persons and their associated character concepts.

I should think it would be just fine if you went ahead and create what you want to play. I haven't had time yet to get off my duff and draw up my character concept, so it's only fair that you go ahead and do yours and not wait on me. I'll certainly be content to fill in whatever gap seems to be missing.

Edit:

Interested Parties Include:

Autumn--paladin a la Don Quixote ???
Brother Allard--Guy Emile Lecoq de Boisbaudran--Swashbuckler
CanadienneBacon--Renard Ruse De la Capot--Fox Ranger
Erekose13--Incarnate ???
Mista Collins--Carl--Halfling Rogue

Last edited:

[imagel]http://www.mvps.org/st-software/Movie_Collection/images/5258f.jpg[/imagel]

Renard Rusé De la Capot

Anthropomorphic Fox Ranger 3/Bard 1

Strength 8
Dexterity 17 (15 +2 racial adjustment)
Constitution 10 (12 -2 racial adjustment)
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 14
Charisma 14

Size: Small
Speed: 30 ft
Darkvision 60 ft
AC: 18 [+3 armor, +3 Dex, +1 size, + 1 buckler]

Saves:
Fort +2 [+2 base, +0 Con]
Ref +5 [+2 base, +3 Dex]
Will +2 [+0 base, +2 Will]

Skills (inclusive of +2 spot and +2 listen racial bonus):
Climb +0 [2 ranks -2 Str]
Heal +5 [3 ranks +2 Wis]
Knowledge (dungeoneering) +3 [1 rank +2 Int]
Knowledge (local) +4 [4 cc ranks, +2 Int]
Knowledge (nature) +6 [4 ranks +2 Int]
Listen +6 [2 ranks +2 Wis, +2 Racial]
Move Silently +7 [4 ranks, +3 Dex]
Profession (messenger) +4 [2 ranks, +2 Wis]
Search +6 [4 ranks +2 Int]
Spot +6 [2 ranks +2 Wis, +2 Racial]
Survival +6 [4 ranks +2 Wis]

Languages: Common, Sylvan, Auran

Feats: Track, Point Blank Shot

Longbow +5, 1d6 dmg*
*+6, 1d6+1 w/i 30 ft

Favored Enemy:
Oozes

Equipment:
Soap
Buckler
Small longbow
40 arrows
Quiver
Dagger x 2
Short sword
Backpack
Bedroll
Preserved red rose
Castañets
Studded leather armor

Renard, or Ren as his many friends call him, is Robin Hood in fox form. A native of one of the woods near Ptolus, Ren has been running errands in Ptolus all his life while also occasionally looting anyone wealthy and daring enough to traverse the underboughs of his native forest outside the city limit. A cunning daredevil in love with both himself and the endless adventure to be scoured within Ptolus's narrow back alleys, Renard takes pride in his thick russet orange fur. Of special import to the bipedal Renard is the creamy white fur guarding his throat and the black tip of his thick fox's tail; Renard takes care every morning to thoroughly bathe and groom his trappings. Due to an unfortunate incident with an ocre jelly some years ago that resulted in a bald patch of fur on his right cheek, Renard has a passionate dislike of oozes and all things gelatinous; the mere sight of pudding in a baker's shop window has been known to send Renard on a rampage of fear-tinged fury. Often seen in the company of friends at taverns sprinkled all throughout Ptolus, Renard makes certain to always carry a preserved red rose and a pair of castañets; one can never tell when a lovely vixen will swoon for your company.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads