Discovery and Star Trek

Ryujin

Legend
As a naive kid I thought that she didn't make captain because she was nuts. As an adult I realized that at the time it was a stretch that there was a woman, and a Black woman at that, on the bridge crew. A female captain would never make it past the producers.

Water Bob

Adventurer
As a naive kid I thought that she didn't make captain because she was nuts. As an adult I realized that at the time it was a stretch that there was a woman, and a Black woman at that, on the bridge crew. A female captain would never make it past the producers.

It may be a retcon, but Uhura was not Command Path, just like McCoy and Scotty. Both Sulu and Checkov were in the Command Path, with Checkov becoming first officer of the Reliant and Sulu taking command of the Excelsior. Scotty does become a Captain, in The Search For Spock, taking equal rank with Kirk and Spock, but he is not a starship commander. He's "Captain of Engineering" instead.

Also, Uhura seems to be in a dying profession. The Communications Officer is dropped and merged into other positions in the TNG era.

Ryujin

Legend
It may be a retcon, but Uhura was not Command Path, just like McCoy and Scotty. Both Sulu and Checkov were in the Command Path, with Checkov becoming first officer of the Reliant and Sulu taking command of the Excelsior. Scotty does become a Captain, in The Search For Spock, taking equal rank with Kirk and Spock, but he is not a starship commander. He's "Captain of Engineering" instead.

Also, Uhura seems to be in a dying profession. The Communications Officer is dropped and merged into other positions in the TNG era.

You need to view it through the lens of the time, not today. At the time it was a huge step forward in network TV.

Water Bob

Adventurer
You need to view it through the lens of the time, not today. At the time it was a huge step forward in network TV.

I think I did, didn't I? I say above that it's pretty plain to me that the sentence, ""Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women," means what it says--that Starfleet doesn't allow female captains. That's a very 60's lens from which to view the show.

The rest of what I say is with respect to the shows that have come since TOS. If, indeed, Enterprise and Discover show female captains, then obviously, from that POV, starfleet doesn't have a no-female-captain mandate.

Guang

Explorer
There is no sense of place or time, since there are no limitations. It is limitations that separate "sci fi" from "sci fa", and these writers are hacks that simply don't care.

Looks like you and me are the only ones that feel that way. Everyone else absolutely loves it. :erm:

Hussar

Legend
Star Trek full of technobabble? The hell you say. Good grief the show has been replete with treknobabble so long that there is actually a term for it.

Just a nitpick but would it actually be cannibalism to eat another species? But, in any case it doesn’t bother me. The whole point of klingons has always been to be the bad guys. Now they really are.

And how are people getting the impression that there are no people there? We see all sorts of people all the time. And TOS has replicators. We see them in TOS all the time every time people eat. It was the movies that gave the enterprise a galley. Before that food just appeared in the slots.

I really wonder if the people criticizing these points have actually watched Star Trek. As far as holodecks go, um that was seen in Enterprise.

Remove ads