D&D General DM Authority

Yes and yes.

I've met that player because at times I've been that player, hanging on through some not-so-enjoyable times in a campaign in hopes things will improve later (they usually do).
Yes. Internet discussions often fail to capture the messy nature of reality. Role-playing games are a social activity and therefore people particiapte in them for a host of social reasons.

• Some players have no strong preferences about the games they play; they just like getting together with their friends.
  • Others may have a host of things going on in their life which may prevent them particularly enjoying the game they are playing right now even if there's nothing particularly wrong with the game.
  • A typical player may want to try GMing for the first time, and so will be cut a lot of slack and given a lot of encouragement even if they're not particularly doing a great job at first.
  • Some players may not like the game they are playing but expect that they'll enjoy the next game the group plays a lot more - and in the meantime they're still getting together with their friends.
Sometimes discussions on the net seem to assume that every disatisfaction should be brought into the light and examined until everyone is having perfect fun - but that's not how people work. (And is typically over-optimistic about the power of explicit communication).

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Goku from Dragonball (not Dragonball Z, GT, or Super) is a straight up basic D&D monk of a custom race.
Perhaps it's not fair of the general audience to expect them to know that level of detail about any particular character.

I literally only know who Goku is because he was featured on Epic Rap Battles....and he was fighting Superman.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Perhaps it's not fair of the general audience to expect them to know that level of detail about any particular character.

I literally only know who Goku is because he was featured on Epic Rap Battles....and he was fighting Superman.
I think the majority of the D&D playing audience is pretty familiar with Goku. The fact that he was on ERB is a pretty strong indication that he looms large in the popcultutal consciousness.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think the majority of the D&D playing audience is pretty familiar with Goku. The fact that he was on ERB is a pretty strong indication that he looms large in the popcultutal consciousness.
So, I know there are these videos called "Epic Rap Battles" because they used to come to my attention online, from time to time, but I am pretty sure I've never actually watched any of the videos.

Then again, I'm old.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, I know there are these videos called "Epic Rap Battles" because they used to come to my attention online, from time to time, but I am pretty sure I've never actually watched any of the videos.

Then again, I'm old.
They’re mildly amusing at best.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I was asking because no one has given me a clear definition.

Does "ultimate authority" mean that
  • The DM establishes the world (including locations, races, classes, gods, so on and so forth)
  • The players have to run changes to the world past the DM and get their approval until their PCs interact with the world at which point they change and influence the world based on their PC's actions.
  • Is polite and listens while encouraging feedback but makes the final call on rules
  • May have some minor restrictions such as no evil PCs, no PVP, no intra-party theft
Then, yes I'm okay with that.

If "ultimate authority" means that the DM is an absolute dictator that doesn't allow or listen to feedback, puts people on railroad tracks, tells players what their PCs think and do, shuts people down immediately if they dare question? Then no, that's not okay.

But since there's not a clear definition how can you say that because I ask people to define it that you know what I think, how I DM or what I think is acceptable?

The point I was responding to was asking why I'm talking about it at all, because no one except the "anti-DM Authority" crowd has been using that term.

Well, you used that term. And while it has been poorly defined, just last page (page 28 as I see we've jumped another 5 pages) Max was again saying the DM does have absolute authority to do anything. Zarionofarabel was using the example of the Queen of Englad overthrowing the Canadian government. So, clearly some people see this term as meaning far more than some minor restrictions and a moderate veto power.

And it seems by your response, then you would say that those people claiming ultimate authority, with full dismissal of every position they don't like, is not something that is okay. Other people seem to think that that is okay. To the point of potentially overriding the entire group.

So, if you mean "Absolute Authority" to mean "I listen to my players and incorporate their ideas where I can. I have some minor rules to make play easier, and I encourage my players to discuss with me" Then I'd say you aren't using the term to mean anything like what some other posters have said.

Remove ads