D&D 5E DMG excerpt: Carousing!

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
One thing I want to know, however, is what the repercussions of getting arrested are. When it says "You are jailed for 1d4 days at the end of the downtime period," does that mean that the last 1d4 days of your predetermined downtime period are spent in jail, or does it mean that the start of your next adventure is delayed by 1d4 days? And if it's the former, why would any player pay the fine to avoid it -- since it happens "offscreen", and seems to have no effect ruleswise on your character?

Wyvern

Honestly, I think it's deliberately vague so that the DM (and players to a degree) can interpret it. The DM could opt that it's a perfunctory issue and merely effects the roleplay in that particular tavern (for good or ill – and just guess WHICH tavern the next old man with a treasure map will be at!?), or it could cause problems for the PCs in that town. Likewise, a DM could decide that some of the PCs do start the next adventure in jail, while the clock is ticking on something more important than "drunk & disorderly," and you suddenly have the real question of a prison break for the Greater Good!

(BTW, my thoughts on your romance question: I think that it's tied to the level issue. A higher-level character is more likely to have a relationship established already through the campaign or else meet a significant other via campaign-significant events, while a low-level character is more likely to strike up a random romance. Compare a younger versus older adult's expected way of meeting someone – as a single 35-year old myself, I don't go to meet women at the sort of places I did at 25, much like a powerful 10th level character wouldn't do so the same way that he did back at 3rd level...)

BoldItalic

First Post
The construction rules do work, if you think through the implications. There are two different numbers involved:

1) The duration of the project, in calendar days from start to finish
2) The number of downtime days that the PC has to spend on-site, supervising

The PC has to be prepared to spend at least as many downtime days on-site as the days quoted in the table. If not, the project will never finish. That's the minimum cost, in downtime days, to the PC.

If he stays on-site for the whole project, it will be finished in that many days. No problem.

If he takes days out to do other things (either in one block or in odd days here and there - it doesn't matter), both the duration and the cost to him in total downtime days will increase.

For every day out, the duration increases by 3 days and the cost in downtime days increases by 2.

Example

You start to build something with a book cost of 30 days but during construction, you take 5 days out carousing.

The duration of the project increases to 45 days (30+3*5 = 45).

The number of days you must spend on-site increases to 40 days.
You can calculate that as days present = total duration less days absent (45 - 5 =40)
You can also calculate it as original cost + two times the number of days absent (30 + 2*5 =40).

That's how the rules work, as written. Of course, as DMs, we are free to change the rules if we don't like them. For informal play, PCs essentially have an unlimited supply of downtime days and spending them merely delays the next adventure on the campaign calendar, unless we have scheduled timed events to interrupt them. For organised play it's a bit different because downtime days are awarded in limited amounts at the ends of adventures and players may have to save them up until they have enough for whatever project they have in mind.

Miseravum

First Post
A high level wizard or bard can cut the costs and time of building dramatically with spells like control weather, move earth, stone shape, plant grownth, wall of stone(permanent), Fabricate, planar binding etc..
He can also add cool stuff with demiplane, guards and wards, hallow, programmed illusion, true polymorph, sequester, and other permanent spells and effects

The problem is that it demonstrates that the rules writing is half-assed. That no one went through the rules checking that they said what they intended to. If they didn't bother to do it here, we know they haven't' tested at deeper levels.

Actually it demonstrates that RPG fans are happy to tear apart a rule if it's vague, but apparently don't care to pay attention to the ones that are pretty good!
(A generalization of course, but holy cow, all of this on one vague wording of one rule...)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The problem is that it demonstrates that the rules writing is half-assed. That no one went through the rules checking that they said what they intended to. If they didn't bother to do it here, we know they haven't' tested at deeper levels.

Or they just focused their limited time and money on more relevant things and trusted the grown-ups in the room to be able to figure out what the intent was and maybe even if they can't and they just wing it OH WELL, the game is not resting upon the correct interpretation of this one number, since it is not a fragile princess snowflake.

I mean, it could clearly be better, but no matter how many hours they poured into checking their rules, there's going to be awkward wording and some minor drops in clarity. This is not a slippery slope we've embarked on, it's just a little flaw in something that was destined to have little flaws in it.

Last edited:

ok, so let me see if I have this right now...

Outpost or fort 15,000 gp 100 day

so I have a year off. (365 days) I start the new fort, then another PC needs help, so on day 30, I need to take a little over 2 weeks off. so that 18 days come off the 100, so 48 days used 52 to go, plus the 18x3 more days... 54 days added, so I come back and it would take 106 days to complete... or I could move 50 miles down the road, start from scratch and take 100 day?!?!?

on the other hand if I start it day 1, then take the rest of the time off... it never gets done... each day adds 3?!?!?

please someone explain I am totally lost...

Remove ads