D&D 5E Do you like or dislike Song & Steeal Dragons being demoted to Folklore?

Do you like or dislike Song & Steeal Dragons being demoted to Folklore?

• I hate or Dislike the removal of Steel and Song Dragons as type of Dragon

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • I like or love the removal of Steel and Song Dragons as a type of Dragon

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Neutral as a Gem Dragon

Votes: 52 65.8%

Scribe

Legend
Are you guys trying to say "bedrock" or have I missed a new expression?
Autocorrect ruining the world, one text/post at a time.

Anyway, I voted neutral as well. I dont have any emotional attachment to them mechanically, and the sidebar provides a lore justification.

Thats kinda all I would need.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It would have been better to not do it at all. This sidebar adds nothing positive to the game at all and angers people.
Angers like . . . 2-3 people that are posting in this thread. At most the 13 people who answered in the poll that they disliked the change (disliking something and having it anger you are two different things, so certainly not all of them). 80.0% of the people that answered the poll were either indifferent or liked the change. There are surely other older players that are also angry about this minute change, but certainly not anywhere near a number of people that WotC should care about.

And people will be angered by anything. If it's by the exclusion of two minor dragons in a book that has 70+ dragon/dragon-related stat blocks, they're not the kind of people that would be pleased anyway. If you get so worked up about a minute peace of lore being changed to "shrug they may or may not exist, here's a sidebar about how to possibly use them", you're too attached to the minor pieces of lore from previous editions. Nothing is stopping you from using the dragons, and you're not entitled to get these dragons included in this book or even this edition.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. By all means, work yourself up about this minor lore change that you can just ignore with the wave of your hand, but it's not doing you or anyone else any favors.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Rules editions change all the time, but the lore gives D&D its timeless quality, hence why the lore is the bedrock of D&D.

What gives D&D it's timeless quality is the fun experiences folks are having at the game table. Sometimes that's using lore found in books, sometimes it's using stuff the DM has entirely invented.

The majority of people according to survey data homebrew their own worlds, IE create their own lore. So I would say rules supplant lore pretty easily.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Rules editions change all the time, but the lore gives D&D its timeless quality, hence why the lore is the bedrock of D&D.
"Timeless quality"? What does that even mean?

Like many others around here, I've been playing for decades, but have studiously ignored the lore that entire time. Pretty much the only lore I know is that there's some famous drow bard named Drizzle.*

D&D has been quite timeless to me, even without the lore.
Especially without the lore.

* Yes, that's a joke. I know Drizzle is not a bard.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The best part about these books being published under the rubric of a named character's observations is that you can dismiss anything in them as ignorance and/or hubris on that characters part. I've already dismissed the idea of all elves being created by Corellon as just Mordenkainen talking out of his ass.

1634327486237.png

Not specifically on the Corellon bit, just that everyone should interpret the lore in the best way to fit their own game and world. Canon shmanon, maximize fun!

Scribe

Legend
The best part about these books being published under the rubric of a named character's observations is that you can dismiss anything in them as ignorance and/or hubris on that characters part. I've already dismissed the idea of all elves being created by Corellon as just Mordenkainen talking out of his ass.
You dont need to worry about any definitive statements in MToF, its been disavowed as non-canon anyway.

Remove ads