D&D 5E Do you like or dislike Song & Steeal Dragons being demoted to Folklore?

Do you like or dislike Song & Steeal Dragons being demoted to Folklore?

• I hate or Dislike the removal of Steel and Song Dragons as type of Dragon

Votes: 18 22.8%
  • I like or love the removal of Steel and Song Dragons as a type of Dragon

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Neutral as a Gem Dragon

Votes: 52 65.8%

Because it is pretty hard to reconcile the history of Rise of Tiamat and the dragon cult when part of the cannon surrounding the first uprising and the reason for its failure is tied closely around the actions of a Song Dragon (and a Vampire Red Dragon) ....... or maybe that is not cannon any more
If it is not in the PHB, DMG, or MM, then it is not canon in 5e. I don’t know why people have such a hard time understanding that. They specifically addressed this recently.

ECMO3

Hero
If it is not in the PHB, DMG, or MM, then it is not canon in 5e. I don’t know why people have such a hard time understanding that. They specifically addressed this recently.
According to Crawford any published 5E game book is cannon.

"If you're looking for what's official in the D&D roleplaying game, it's what appears in the products for the roleplaying game. Basically, our stance is that if it has not appeared in a book since 2014, we don't consider it canonical for the games."

That would imply that things from DOMM and HOD/ROT are in fact canon, unless there is other verbiage that excludes these products (and the others published).

Now I am not sure that HOD/ROT mentions Song Dragons, but it does mention the previous Dragon Cult uprising.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

"If you're looking for what's official in the D&D roleplaying game, it's what appears in the products for the roleplaying game. Basically, our stance is that if it has not appeared in a book since 2014, we don't consider it canonical for the games."

That would imply that things from DOMM and HOD/ROT are in fact canon, unless there is other verbiage that excludes these products (and the others published).

Now I am not sure that HOD/ROT mentions Song Dragons, but it does mention the previous Dragon Cult uprising.
You're missing an important part of that statement by him. The part where he explicitly says that only the core three books are public facing canon. The rest are official, but not canon.

dave2008

Legend

That is only part of the story. They later clarified that only the PHB, DMG, and MM are canon for all of 5e D&D.

From the comment you quoted above, you can reasonably consider each setting its own canon, but things like MToF are as specifically not canon for all of D&D. Any one working with the D&D team only needs to consider the PHB, DMG, and MM as canon.

dave2008

Legend
You're missing an important part of that statement by him. The part where he explicitly says that only the core three books are public facing canon. The rest are official, but not canon.
I'm not sure if it was Crawford or Perkins who said only the core 3 were canon, but it was said.

Edit: It was Perkins in this post: D&D Canon

dave2008

Legend

What you quote was a tweat or a transcription from a stream or something like that. The official stance to what is canon was given by Perkins on the D&D website: D&D Canon

Here is the quote @Maxperson and I where talking about:

"Fifth edition’s canon includes every bit of lore that appears in the most up-to-date printings of the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide. Beyond these core rulebooks, we don’t have a public-facing account of what is canonical in fifth edition because we don’t want to overload our fellow creators and business partners."

Though I suggest you read the whole article.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What you quote was a tweat or a transcription from a stream or something like that. The official stance to what is canon was given by Perkins on the D&D website: D&D Canon

Here is the quote @Maxperson and I where talking about:

"Fifth edition’s canon includes every bit of lore that appears in the most up-to-date printings of the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide. Beyond these core rulebooks, we don’t have a public-facing account of what is canonical in fifth edition because we don’t want to overload our fellow creators and business partners."

Though I suggest you read the whole article.
It's really a good approach for keeping the game and tie-ins light and flexible.

Scribe

Legend
From the comment you quoted above, you can reasonably consider each setting its own canon, but things like MToF are as specifically not canon for all of D&D. Any one working with the D&D team only needs to consider the PHB, DMG, and MM as canon.
I was looking through MToF today actually and I thought to myself "I bet they have disavowed this."

And look at that. :cry:

Expressing how I really feel about this would be counter productive to a good mental state, but yeah, I just hate it so much.

Remove ads