• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E do you still roll for damage?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Always rolled and always will.

I have used non-random HP in some games (especially for player characters) but I've never used fixed damage. For me, it's one of those fundamental sources of randomness that I don't even question.

Same, the randomness adds to the danger (or not) of each individual combat.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
There is much heresy in this thread.

The Dice Gods are displeased.

There will be a cleansing, purification by flame.

Always roll your dice. Do it in front of your players too, so they can sit on the edge of their seat, foreheads beading with sweat in the knowledge that with every bounce of them bones... they live or die by the will of the mighty Dice Gods.

Seriously though, I just find it more fun to roll and so do my players. If folks are having fun with averages though the more power to them... until they're cleaned by fire...
Amen!

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I hate, hate, hate, hate DM's who use the static damage. It makes combat lifeless and boring. I want to get hit for 2 points one round and 30 the next. Never knowing for sure what's coming is part of the excitement and fun of D&D.

That's a lot of hate. Just curious: doesn't the requirement of an attack roll create some uncertainty of what's coming next? Also, if combats are lifeless and boring without the roll of a damage die, I think your GM is doing something wrong, because there's a lot more to combat than damage rolls.

I go with static damage, because it speeds up play. But since there's the option of rolling a die, that gets used when it would make the battle interesting...like when a PC is on death's door...

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I always roll damage. Combat in 5E is fast, so I can afford the extra time. Besides, I like rolling dice.

Also, I play over Roll20 fairly frequently, and that rolls the damage along with the attack.

Remove ads