• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you tell pretty girls that they're pretty?

Hijinks

First Post
I don't think my views are shared by too many women. I've just witnessed too many angry wives complain about their husbands visiting strip clubs to think my views are normal.

I also don't mind strip clubs. I've been in them and I usually enjoy the music and atmosphere. I think I have a healthy attitude towards sex and relationships. My boyfriend used to get Playboy, which was fine with me. Men are visual creatures and they like to look at naked women. I understand that and don't mind it.

If my boyfriend came to me and told me the story that was the first post of this very long thread, I wouldn't have had a problem with it at all.

I, personally, almost never get compliments. I grew up in a family where I was constantly critized for the way I looked, never anything positive. I'm a plain woman, and I know that and am (usually) ok with it. I know I'm not beautiful, and will never be.

That said, I do get offended when men who are in the same room with me make jokes about fat or ugly women, even if not directing them at me. I may not consider myself ugly, but I do think I'm plain; I think many men that I meet think I'm less worthy of talking to than other women, because I'm less attractive. That's just the way the world works. Whatever. I don't think plain people, or fat people, should naturally be the butt of jokes. This is a sore spot with me because recently, a person I considered a friend was talking to someone sitting beside me about "one-bag women," i.e. women that you only have to put a bag over her head, as opposed to "two-bag women," which means a bag over hers, and a bag over the man's). It hurt my feelings because I know I don't measure up to his standards of what constitutes a real woman, because I'm not beautiful.

I do have features that I think are pretty - my eyes, hair, hands. When I get a compliment on a feature, I cherish it. Because they are so unusual for me. So I would personally encourage my bf - or another man - to compliment a woman on her features, if he feels it's not something she hears enough. From the way the original poster described the woman's reaction, it made her day.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Thanks for your post, Hijinks. If I had any remaining doubts about offering the occasional compliment, your post dispelled them. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads