D&D 5E Do you think the monk has too few ki points? And my proposal.

Xeviat

Hero
I think this is a little bit apples to oranges. A paladin also has lay on hands for a pool of healing that doesn't use spell points. They also have their auras. They also have channel divinity for special bonus abilities. When I play a paladin, I feel like I have a more balanced range of varying abilities, spells and spell points for divine smite just being one of those. I've played a paladin and had plenty that I could do without using spells at all.

But when I play a monk, I feel like ki is the driving factor of my abilities much more than a paladin's spell points.

Sure a monk can do a few things that don't require ki, but they are somewhat limited. Ki is leaned upon much more in the monk class than spell points are leaned on by the paladin, in my experience.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to clog up the thread with a big paladin vs monk chart.

I have played many a monk, and in 5e tabaxi monk with a druid to speed buff is out of control. Also an acroa monk avoids most melee damage as they can fly out of range. A monk can function as a variant fighter but can never truely replace a well honed tank. With a potential 3 attacks at level one and the ability to get in and out of range the monk can easily dispose of enemies up to level 4. Perhaps you should look at the challenge rating of your npc's.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Level 1: 6 Ki
Level 2: 6 Ki
Level 3: 7 Ki
This much ki at early levels would I think make the monk much too strong. If you feel this needs adjustment, I'd start slower
Level 1: --
Level 2: 3 Ki
Level 3: 4 Ki
Level 4: 5 Ki
Level 5: 5 Ki
Level 6: 6 Ki
etc

But if you like your version, give it a try and let us know :)

Monks are amazingly good when played well. Strong combination of Rogue and Fighter. I'd be wary of giving them more Ki, since you'll only regret it when they start stun-locking every monster in your combats.

Lost Soul

First Post
No. The monk has more than enough ki points, especially if you are gauging spells for the elemental monk. Spells are supposed to be long rest mechanics but monks get ki on short rest. Now take the sorcerer. That class really needs more spell points or the monk's short rest mechanic.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I played a shadow monk up to level 8, and while you can blow through ki pretty quickly, I think it's notable that at no point was I behind any other class. So in that case, I don't think they need a ki bump. I was all over the battlefield, and just that benefit alone allowed me to do things no other class could do. If I wanted to reliably deal out as much damage as a fighter, I'd be a fighter. That wasn't my role. And when I hit level 6 with shadowstep, it was huge.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Monk might be may favorite class in terms of design in 5e. I think they did it right.

There is only one issue with Ki, and it's not a lack of it. It's the short rest mechanic. Either you give them, or you don't. If you are allowing them, the ki is fine.

Think of it this way. If you have 5-6 encounters per long rest (assume those guidelines), then the monk is getting a short rest every two encounters to recharge. And recharges again on the long rest.

You still have to manage you ki, just like every other class has some resource management issues. But a monk that can use ki almost every attack, in almost every combat, is just way too powerful.

But, even at first level, if you're getting two short rests per long rest, you effectively are using 3 ki per long rest. Your effective ki is triple your ki.

The short rest thing you mention is why I let short rests be much shorter, so it's easier to narratively fit them into the scenario.

You don't think that at 4th level having only four ki is a little on the ridiculous side? If a monk uses a ki point to do patient doge, and then uses a ki point to do flurry of blows, then the monk is out of ki after two rounds.
Both Patient Dodge and Flurry of Blows require the use of your bonus action. You can't do them both. A 4th-level monk can't spend more than 1 ki point in a round unless they're using Deflect Missiles with their reaction (or casting spells through their subclass). At 5th they get Stunning Strike, and yes, that can dramatically increase their ki consumption. That means they have to be judicious, not that they need more ki.

Remove ads