• No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

Ondath

Hero
You don't need to use dynamic lighting. I improv constantly on VTTs. If you use paper maps, how is that different than a VTT? It isn't.
Except I can take any decent top-down battlemap that I find on the internet, plop some simple tokens to it and call it a day with a 2D VTT. I don't always do complicated spell animations or dynamic lighting.

But you can't have the equivalent of "just plop a .jpg from /r/battlemaps" with a 3D VTT. You either get a premade map that perfectly includes everything (which would be pretty good for APs, admittedly), or you need to design the whole 3D space from scratch, essentially becoming a level designer.

darjr

I crit!
I think the video makes good points. I don't ascribe that those points are all destined to be true. I'd think wotc would have at least thought of most of them.

Gee, more "it's the worst thing ever" clickbait. :sleep:

Maybe it will suck, maybe it will be great. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but if I do I'll make the call when it's something other than vaporware.
I agree that the title could be toned down, but that's youtube. The actual points the video makes are worth considering though

I think the video makes good points. I don't ascribe that those points are all destined to be true. I'd think wotc would have at least thought of most of them.
they have to have confidence that they can hire all these developers and make a usable product by the middle or end of 2024. There's going to be a lot riding on that initial launch though, and if they don't have something ready I can see them pushing it out anyway (at least based on what video game publishers tend to do).

Except I can take any decent top-down battlemap that I find on the internet, plop some simple tokens to it and call it a day with a 2D VTT. I don't always do complicated spell animations or dynamic lighting.

But you can't have the equivalent of "just plop a .jpg from /r/battlemaps" with a 3D VTT. You either get a premade map that perfectly includes everything (which would be pretty good for APs, admittedly), or you need to design the whole 3D space from scratch, essentially becoming a level designer.
Yes you can, there could easily be a bunch of generic maps in the program you can put anywhere. We also don’t know how quickly you can make maps in the system.

Like I imagine tilesets are used so creation is quick.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

How do you know you won't have maps available? Also, I don't know that we are looking at full 3d.... The demo wasn't that. Also, you don't have to build every room and every encounter. Are your 2d maps perfect? If you don't want it, great. Don't use it. But I'm not assuming it will suck......I don't know yet. We will see.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
they have to have confidence that they can hire all these developers and make a usable product by the middle or end of 2024. There's going to be a lot riding on that initial launch though, and if they don't have something ready I can see them pushing it out anyway (at least based on what video game publishers tend to do).
The video mentioned in posty 208 nicely outlines a bunch of reasons why the announcement trailer set off all the warning flags for
1675557193594.png

Oofta

Legend
I agree that the title could be toned down, but that's youtube. The actual points the video makes are worth considering though
You only have to listen to the first couple of minutes to get the "It's destined to fail."

It's vaporware. We don't know what they're going to offer, we don't know how well it's going to work. Maybe it will be amazing, maybe it will be the next Duke Nukem Forever, a game with lots of hype that crashed and burned on release. We just don't know.

Clint_L

Hero
Hmmm...I think I tend to look at this issue differently than a lot of folks because I do build 3d maps for all my tabletop encounters. But I do it by hand, with physical terrain. This is a part of the hobby that I deeply love for a lot of reasons, and I always have.

It takes time to build a 3d battle map and they take up a lot of the tabletop. So I mostly only do it if a combat encounter is going to happen there. I could see the VTT being similar, where you have a 2d map for navigation, etc., but then switch to a 3d map when things happen.

Another thing about using a 3d battle map is it makes me want to railroad the party towards the encounter that I have spent so much time building. I really have to fight myself on this, and sometimes they make different choices and we wind up doing theatre of the mind or drawing things out with the old dry erase markers and flip mats. Also, I usually prepare one or two extra 3d maps to cover the most likely options but this means doing a lot of extra work that doesn't get used. This would probably be a lot easier on a VTT, especially because I bet I could save maps for use at a future time (you can do this IRL and in fact I have one such map tucked onto a shelf right now, but it's a hassle).

A great thing about a 3d map is that it helps the players think outside of 2 dimensions. I have found that they are far more likely to make interesting tactical choices when they can see the stack of barrels in relation to the ledge and the cage dangling high above, or whatever. So it makes combat more exciting, which it needs. The VTT might provide this as well, though I am not sure if it will be as effective as looking at the physical terrain in front of your face, being able to grab and move your own miniature, etc.

Storage is a problem. My spouse is getting a bit annoyed with the amount of garage shelving that is given to my plastic bins of terrain and miniatures. A VTT solve this problem, completely.

Cost is a huge issue. It costs thousands of dollars before you have enough terrain and miniatures to start being able to handle anything like the variety of situations that a D&D campaign gets into. I know folks are worried about the cost of a VTT, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will be minuscule by comparison.

All that said, I like the idea of the VTT. For new players, in particular. But I don't see it doing that much for me. There is a magic to real, tangible objects that I can't imagine a VTT will ever give me.

Remove ads