DOCTOR STRANGE (By the Hoary Hosts of SPOILERS)

Mad_Jack

Legend
I saw it recently... I think the movie could have been a bit longer as some of the plot development seemed a bit rushed at points. I liked the fight scenes - it was very Mortal Kombat meets Inception.

MistyF

First Post
I saw it recently... I think the movie could have been a bit longer as some of the plot development seemed a bit rushed at points. I liked the fight scenes - it was very Mortal Kombat meets Inception.

As for me it was too long, the second part was a bit strange and looks shorter than the first part.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but Cumberbatch did a good job playing a different kind of arrogant super genius than Alan Turing, Khan and Sherlock. He's kind of getting type cast.

I wasn't as big on the psychedelic acid trip scenes that seemed to be eye candy for 70's drug culture scene. Woah man, that's trippy.

As I'm in the midst of writing a novel about a wizard, I liked how Strange found an out of the box solution to the big problem that didn't involve hitting it harder. That's a theme I try to use for mine, and it made sense here as well that a really smart person with lots of tools would come up with something different.

I agree that he is somewhat being type cast now. However, you did forget one Arrogant genius, Smaug. How can we leave out one of the most arrogant of the arrogant?

I liked the movie, and I am one of those people that is beginning to grow tired of the super hero march of movies.

I think the 'magic' was refreshing and explained fairly well.

That moment that Dormammu started to realize a serious case of Deja Vu was great.

Not very thrilled about Mordo turning coat. I get why he might do it, just think that we could get something different than another old friends turn enemies that has been told again and again.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I agree that he is somewhat being type cast now. However, you did forget one Arrogant genius, Smaug. How can we leave out one of the most arrogant of the arrogant?

I liked the movie, and I am one of those people that is beginning to grow tired of the super hero march of movies.

I think the 'magic' was refreshing and explained fairly well.

That moment that Dormammu started to realize a serious case of Deja Vu was great.

Not very thrilled about Mordo turning coat. I get why he might do it, just think that we could get something different than another old friends turn enemies that has been told again and again.

you do know that Mordo going bad comes straight from the comics? The refreshing thing in the movie was Mordo starting off as a friend and his turn being motivated by righteousness rather than him simply being a comic book villain.

I liked the movie and the way they used the 70's soundtrack to tie back to a more psychdelic era without going full hippy.
Nonetheless I was a bit disappointed the movie didn't have more of a horror vibe and instead gave us "action movie magic", sure I acknowledge that Dr Strange for all the mystical trappings is still superhero genre, but I was hoping we might see something a little more 'out there' rather than being seemlessly integrated with the Stark & Banners brand of Comicbook 'Science'

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
you do know that Mordo going bad comes straight from the comics? The refreshing thing in the movie was Mordo starting off as a friend and his turn being motivated by righteousness rather than him simply being a comic book villain.

I liked the movie and the way they used the 70's soundtrack to tie back to a more psychdelic era without going full hippy.
Nonetheless I was a bit disappointed the movie didn't have more of a horror vibe and instead gave us "action movie magic", sure I acknowledge that Dr Strange for all the mystical trappings is still superhero genre, but I was hoping we might see something a little more 'out there' rather than being seemlessly integrated with the Stark & Banners brand of Comicbook 'Science'

Yes, I do know this. I don't have any disagreement on the reason for him turning. I am just not sold on the need for a character like that at all in this particular version of Dr. Strange. I am perfectly fine with some departure from Comic Book.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hoary Hairy Hoards of Hilarious Hungarian Hivers -- HIDE!!!!

so is the actor! He seems like the previous incarnation of his character in serinity.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just wish they had waited longer to have Mordo do a heel turn. On of my few big complaints toward hero movies lately is the lack of patience in the stories.

Remove ads