D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Black Panther was a great film; however, when it first came out, I was suffering from superhero movie fatigue because it felt like a new Marvel movie every 2-3 months by that point that were being churned out by Disney's corporate machine, and I couldn't keep up with it any longer, so I had to just walk away from any pretense of going to see these movies. Although I thought Black Panther was an enjoyable film - having watched it about a year or so after its initial release - it also happened to be the straw that ultimately broke my back with the MCU. Moreover, I certainly can't deal with the sheer amount of Marvel TV series on Disney+ either. It's just too much for me, and the sheer ubiquity of Marvel film/television has absolutely drained my ability to enjoy something that I know that I should enjoy as someone who loves these superhero IPs.

IMHO, I think that it's valid for people to both hope for the best for Cubicle 7's design team and their success while also being exasperated by the larger trend of 5e's market ubiquity and dominance in the hobby. Regardless of the product's quality, people may be feeling their backs being broken and their spirits crestfallen by this product as a symptom of a larger trend.

darjr

I crit!
I've read the Twitter thread.

Here's the thing, at least here, nobody was saying the game can't be good or bashing the creators behind the game.

It's simply being pointed out that it's unlikely to be better than the existing ground up purpose built game for it.

We're also pointing out that this isn't some passion project, it's clearly a transparent attempt to dip into the 5e money waterfall. That Twitter thread actually explicitly confirms it. It's perfectly valid for people to express their disappointment in such transparent inauthenticity for simple money. Not denying the business reality, but on the same token you can't deny that it's wrong that it makes people feel icky.
It's a passion project. The developers involved would not do it otherwise. Flat out.

And yes, it's going to make them a lot of money too.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
It's simply being pointed out that it's unlikely to be better than the existing ground up purpose built game for it.
And this would be a possible problem if it was replacing their own bespoked game. But it's in addition to.

It's also clear in the tweet that making a 5e version of TOR lead to more sales of their TOR version.

Seems like a win-win.

Whatever. I'll leave people to dunk on something they haven't even seen because... they know better?

nyvinter

Adventurer
It's hard to not express disappointment when there's been one book stealth published in 2020 after three years of absolute silence about the game line as Warhammer and The One Ring got all focus.

Many of us are fans of the Vortex game and love it, and the harsh reality is that it is harder to get players to try the old when there's a 5e version of it. (Have you tried asking people to play in a Star Wars game? "Oh, there's a 5e hack! Love to play that instead!") So yeah, we're disappointed.

Aldarc

Legend
I also find it rather disheartening when people go: "What?! You're designing/making something that may sell well?! Money grabbing greedy bastards! (Hyperbole). Just go back to making that other thing. It's not like you need money to feed your families, pay rent, etc. Just do what I like and deal with it!"
Personally I think it's pretty disheartening when the writing on the wall for the TTRPG market is that the only way to make money in the hobby is to design for 5e or using its engine.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
This stuff happened all the time in 3rd Ed. Everything from EverQuest to Wheel of Time to Star Wars to World of Darkness (what!?!) had a D20 D&D style game

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
Yeah, speaking as somebody who likes D&D, I hated that period of the hobby.

Who here can think of a game that put out a D20 version of their game and was better than the original version?

I can't.

Yea did buy and play lot of d20 stuff back then. The end result was that it burned me out of 3E faster then usual for a D&D Edition.
And 5E is a edition that is based on feeling familiar and often republishing stuff that was already there instead of doing new and fresh stuff so tired of it faster then with other D&D editions.

I am already basically done with the edition and currently play other games. So a glut of games that just badly distort their original game engines to the 5E rule set to make a quick profit from D&D's large player base is especially unwelcome to me.

I can understand that this makes economical sense for a game company. There is a segment of gamers that are fine with playing one system all of the time and never really tire of it. D&D is the largest RPG by far so it has the biggest numbers of players who play it all the time. So if a company you can tape that customer base with a 5E version of their game then I a mostly fine. I even like if the 5E version finances further stuff for the original game.

What I loathe is when the 5E version kills the original game or if you only get a 5E version. The later one especially is just dead of creativity.
System matters and influence how you play a game. And 5E/d20 versions of other rule sets always lose something of their own in the conversion.

So in summary I can life Dr. Who 5E as long as it doesn't kill the original game line and I loathe announcements like for the Dark Souls RPG where we will only get a ill-fitting 5E version for a game whose computer game inspiration doesn't play like D&D 5E at all.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases