D&D General Does The D&D Movie Poster Feature Pathfinder Artwork?

The Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie poster was previewed today. It was created by an artist called Bosslogic, and features an ampersand containing various pieces of D&D monster art. The poster was on display at San Diego Comic Con as part of the official D&D movie promotional event. However, one part of the poster appears to be Pathfinder's depiction of an intellect devourer. Is...

The Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves movie poster was previewed today. It was created by an artist called Bosslogic, and features an ampersand containing various pieces of D&D monster art. The poster was on display at San Diego Comic Con as part of the official D&D movie promotional event.

However, one part of the poster appears to be Pathfinder's depiction of an intellect devourer. Is this the same art piece?

poster.jpeg

paizo_devourer.png

Paizo's Pathfinder 2 Bestiary (thanks to @Ir'revrykal for the pic)

It certainly looks like the same piece of art.

Now, the intellect devourer is a D&D monster which appeared way back in 1976, and has appeared in every edition of D&D since. Why does Pathfinder have artwork of one? Well, the creature was first released as Open Gaming Content 20 years ago under the Open Gaming License. Since then, other companies have used the monster, or created their own versions of it -- including Paizo in the Pathfinder RPG. The name and the stat blocks (including the Pathfinder version) are free to use.

The art? Not so much. Art commissioned by Paizo to illustrate its Bestiaries is not Open Gaming Content. While art can be OGC (nowhere in the OGL is the actual subject matter defined -- you can make any of your work OGC and available for use by others, from sheet music to 3D spaceship models), companies rarely designate it as so, and Paizo's intellect devourer art is no exception.

However, the 'open gaming license' tangent is a red herring. It's unlikely that Paramount was thinking in terms of open source TTRPG game rules when it made the poster, and this poster is not released using the OGL, so its terms are not relevant to it. More likely, somebody just assumed that that piece of art was created by WotC, not Paizo. The 'OGL' part of this conversation simply explains why Paizo has a version of the creature too, and why Paizo therefore commissioned art for their version.

For comparison, here is the D&D 5E version of the intellect devourer—presumably the piece of art that should have been used.

C21BED96-2003-456D-9664-40E94A3F20D1.jpeg

It's not the first time mistakes like this have happened. Back in 2018 Old Spice released a D&D class called The Gentleman... except that it was actually a Pathfinder class!

When it comes down to it, this is almost certainly just a simple mistake--a contracted artist, not as versed in TTRPGs as many people reading this, simply didn't realise that other companies could or had made their own versions of the creature, and used the one which fitted the space. Nothing to get upset about, and the companies will likely have a quick phone call and the matter will be settled.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I guess you might use the term 'mockup' differently to me, but once it's physically deployed in public in an advertising capacity, it's 'official' as I understand the term. But, eh. Semantics.
She seemed to think of "deployed to movie theaters and for sale to the public" as "official." But she wasn't on the legal team so I have no idea if her view is correct.

She seemed to think of "deployed to movie theaters and for sale to the public" as "official." But she wasn't on the legal team so I have no idea if her view is correct.

If this is a ComicCon exclusive , only given away or sold there, then it could still be some sort of "official", but never be available for other sites to sell.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
On Twitter someone said it was a poster made by "BossLogic". I'm to understand that he's some kind of Photoshop remix artist?

I've never been a hip individual, but some days I feel even less hip than my usual baseline.
BossLogic is a fan artist who is very talented at creating fancasts of various pop culture characters (like comic book characters) that look real, using actual actor photos, but which are not real. I don't think this is a BossLogic, given Morrus says it's on display at Comic Con. Though I have now seen a second poster which looks nothing like this poster.\

Edit - I will note BossLogic did tweet "Tune In! See you soon!" two days ago, with a link to the IGN announcement they'd be at the D&D Tavern at comic con. So...did they put up a BossLogic fan poster for this movie at Comic Con D&D tavern? Why would BossLogic say "see you soon" about being at the D&D panel for comic con with IGN? And is that where the poster comes from, the tavern?

Edit 2 - DND Movie put him up as a fake bartender at the D&D Tavern at Comic Con. So maybe he created the actual D&D Poster, and maybe he made a fan created one someone put up? But BossLogic being involved does increase the odds this is a fan creation and not a real poster, which other fans took pictures of thinking it was the real one? I dunno. I'm confused.

Last edited:

Given that it's in the interest of both Paizo and WotC to keep their rivalry friendly, and that Paizo has WotC absolutely dead to rights as infringing here, the only question of how it works out is probably how big a check Paizo gets cut, and whether it includes just licensing the stolen art so they don't have to modify the poster.

But between the two games companies, a giant parent corporation, a Hollywood movie studio, and possibly someone creating the poster was contracted out to, who knows who might decide to make a litigious mess out of what was probably an honest (and kind of funny) mistake.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Given that it's in the interest of both Paizo and WotC to keep their rivalry friendly, and that Paizo has WotC absolutely dead to rights as infringing here, the only question of how it works out is probably how big a check Paizo gets cut, and whether it includes just licensing the stolen art so they don't have to modify the poster.

But between the two games companies, a giant parent corporation, a Hollywood movie studio, and possibly someone creating the poster was contracted out to, who knows who might decide to make a litigious mess out of what was probably an honest (and kind of funny) mistake.
Eh. It will just be a quick phone call. They're all friends and ex-coworkers in the same town. No big deal. Just fun to talk about.

Of all the tweeting about this, I do not know if the artist or anyone official from Paizo has even said anything yet. We don't know if Paizo owns that art outright or only got it for the book and the artist still has the rights to use it elsewhere or what. Maybe the artist told Boss_Logic it was okay to use, but did not actually have the right to say that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Of all the tweeting about this, I do not know if the artist or anyone official from Paizo has even said anything yet. We don't know if Paizo owns that art outright or only got it for the book and the artist still has the rights to use it elsewhere or what. Maybe the artist told Boss_Logic it was okay to use, but did not actually have the right to say that.
It seems unlikely. Paizo uses work for hire.

Remove ads

Remove ads