• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dose D&D have room for a diplomat class?

S

Sunseeker

The problem was normally some strange anomaly or a political issue that the crew has troubleshoot with different bits of techno babble. Even the combat tends to play out the same way. Like they are fighting a cloaked ship and they have to think up a way to disable the cloak.

(Trying to think up a way to convert an episode into a adventure is a little tricky)

I don't think so, but perhaps I'm better with that sort of thing as it features heavily in my current WIP campaign?

Lets take the stealthed ship example:
For some reason the party is aware there is an invisible object nearby, it is moving, it is dangerous and you need to locate it and destroy/capture/disable it.

Normal skills(sensors) can't detect it, so we need to come up with some kind of device or trick that will locate it for us. The party has at its disposal a variety of magical junk that could possibly be assembled into a stealth detection device. The Wizard has Arcana and the Rogue has "handle device"(or whatever), but too many cooks, so while they start assembling the device the Cleric and Fighter have to do something. Well as an added trick, it turns out the device is aware of the attempts to disable it so it attacks the Wizard and Rogue, who are too busy to defend themselves. Every time it attacks there is a "warning noise", a buzz or hum or something that can be picked up on fairly easily allowing the Cleric and or Fighter to ready an action for when the object attacks.

The Fighter and Cleric are like the shields, which the engineer and someone on the bridge have to keep from going down, otherwise the guys building the device will fail and the "ship" will be destroyed.

There you go.

nomotog

Explorer
I don't think so, but perhaps I'm better with that sort of thing as it features heavily in my current WIP campaign?

Lets take the stealthed ship example:
For some reason the party is aware there is an invisible object nearby, it is moving, it is dangerous and you need to locate it and destroy/capture/disable it.

Normal skills(sensors) can't detect it, so we need to come up with some kind of device or trick that will locate it for us. The party has at its disposal a variety of magical junk that could possibly be assembled into a stealth detection device. The Wizard has Arcana and the Rogue has "handle device"(or whatever), but too many cooks, so while they start assembling the device the Cleric and Fighter have to do something. Well as an added trick, it turns out the device is aware of the attempts to disable it so it attacks the Wizard and Rogue, who are too busy to defend themselves. Every time it attacks there is a "warning noise", a buzz or hum or something that can be picked up on fairly easily allowing the Cleric and or Fighter to ready an action for when the object attacks.

The Fighter and Cleric are like the shields, which the engineer and someone on the bridge have to keep from going down, otherwise the guys building the device will fail and the "ship" will be destroyed.

There you go.

That works. I did have a idea for a generic rule where you could reconfigure a system to do something new like reconfigure your sensors to detect cloaking, or maybe reconfigure your beam weapons to act as sensor probes. If you pass, then it's a simple flip switch, if you fail, then you can retry after you cannibal another system for parts.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
One way to build a Diplomat character in a combat-heavy game would be for that person to have combat-capable henchpeople. This way when a fight breaks out, the Diplomat sits in the back issuing commands and buffing allies with words (and maybe taking potshots with a crossbow, or fighting defensively with a rapier), and the henchpeople run in and fight on the front lines. Designed right, the entire entourage would be about as effective and time-consuming as a fighter or wizard.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Is it time for a UA: Intrigue, Investigation, and Diplomacy.

A fighter who can detect lies via facial expressions and vocal tones.

A rogue who has voice mimickry and can discover character aspects by accents

A barbarian who can incite hostility while in a rage.

A ranger who has a prof bonus on Charisma check when speaking in the language granted by Favored Enemy

A barbarian who can rerol Intimadition checks by spending rage.

Fighter: He's lying.
Barbarian; YOU DARE BETRAYAL THE KING?!
Court: WHAT?!;
Noble: YOU DARE QUESTION MY LOYALTY?!
Barbarian: I QUESTION MORE THAN THAT, MY LORD.
Sorcerer (subtle friends): My lord is loyal to the crown.He will promise double the men as the next lord to our expedition.
Noble: RIGHT!
Bard: I have a pledge for 10. Will my lord offer two dozen strong warriors under his banner in writing.

Remove ads