Dr Strange 2: In the Multiverse of Madness (Spoilers)

She joined the MCU with vengeful/villainous tones and in WV was pretty vindictive.
Gives the character a lot more dimension ( not very funny pun intended!).

I did think it was quite dark and scary for its certificate

Jahydin

Hero
There are some really strong Evil Dead vibes in this movie. A lot of Raimi's wacky surreal camera work, but also Bruce beating himself up, and the Darkhold is pretty much Marvel's necronomicon.
I know it was just a joke, but the whole "three weeks" part seemed kind of cruel...

Staffan

Legend
Overall, I think I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but it wasn't really what I was expecting. For one thing, I was expecting it to draw on the events of Loki but it doesn't. Granted, hardly anyone anywhere in the multiverse other than two specific Lokis (well, a Loki and a Sylvie) actually know what is going on, but I just thought the splitting of the "sacred timeline" was meant to be what caused the opening of the multiverse, but this movie made it seem like the multiverse had always been there, full of variants.

The way I see it, the multiverse has always existed. Now. It hadn't always existed a year ago, but now it always has.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Google it. I'm hardly the only one to notice the sexist overtones. People are saying it's a classic example of "female too powerful for her own good". People are also complaining that they Disneyfied America by making her a wide-eyed, helpless kid who doesn't know how to use her powers until the male hero gives her a pep talk.

So, if they made America in full control of her power, folks would complain that she's Mary Sue. So, they lose either way. There's a reasonable trope that young super-powered people have to learn how to deal with powers and/or life. Mutilpe Spider Men have needed to go through it, for example, so the argument that it is sexist is a little weak.

And, that scene is explicitly and specifically less about a male hero giving a pep talk, as it is about a male hero who has demonstrated control issues, learning to trust a young woman to do what needs doing, rather than take control himself. And that's in a movie that is nominally about him, rather than her.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The way I see it, the multiverse has always existed. Now. It hadn't always existed a year ago, but now it always has.

Exactly - in Loki, we saw the multiverse branching at all points within the timeline "at once" so to speak. For those inside, the multiverse has always existed. Only for those couple of people outside the timeline entirely is there a point when the multiverse didn't' exist.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
She joined the MCU with vengeful/villainous tones

Yeah, she was originally a terrorist, willing to set the Hulk loose on a city full of people.

What this movie does show us is that most of the issues in the MCU could be prevented or solved with suitable application of mental health professionals. We don't need the Sorcerer Supreme so much as we need all these people to get good therapists.

Bolares

Hero
but I just thought the splitting of the "sacred timeline" was meant to be what caused the opening of the multiverse, but this movie made it seem like the multiverse had always been there, full of variants.
From the moment they split the sacred timeline the multicerse was “always there”. The ripples from that split affect the past too

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, she was originally a terrorist, willing to set the Hulk loose on a city full of people.
That's a pretty big difference between Comics Wanda and MCU Wanda. Comics Wanda was basically press-ganged into working with Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. But when MCU Wanda was given the opportunity to work with Hydra to go after Stark, she jumped in with both feet and didn't look back.
What this movie does show us is that most of the issues in the MCU could be prevented or solved with suitable application of mental health professionals. We don't need the Sorcerer Supreme so much as we need all these people to get good therapists.
I'd love to see a Doc Samson show on Disney+.

Stalker0

Legend
I know it was just a joke, but the whole "three weeks" part seemed kind of cruel...
I ignored that because it was so used to set up such a blatant joke at the end, that I knew it was meant to be 132% comedic. I do agree that if you look at it objectively it is WAY too much of an overreaction to getting accused of not paying for your food, which to be fair.....she didn't!

People's notes about Wanda being a terrorist, thank you for reminding me! So MCU Wanda actually has a clear pattern, her grief makes her vengeful, time and time again.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
People's notes about Wanda being a terrorist, thank you for reminding me! So MCU Wanda actually has a clear pattern, her grief makes her vengeful, time and time again.

So, I'd push back a little bit on that. In neither Wandavision nor Multiverse of Madness, is she "vengeful". She isn't out to do harm to people who have done her wrong. She is out to get what she thinks will relieve her grief. She no longer cares about the welfare of others in pursuit of that end.

Remove ads