Dr Strange 2: In the Multiverse of Madness (Spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
So, I'd push back a little bit on that. In neither Wandavision nor Multiverse of Madness, is she "vengeful". She isn't out to do harm to people who have done her wrong. She is out to get what she thinks will relieve her grief. She no longer cares about the welfare of others in pursuit of that end.
that's fair. Its less she actively seeks to hurt people and more "she has no care of the consequences as long as she gets what she wants"

Jahydin

Hero
I ignored that because it was so used to set up such a blatant joke at the end, that I knew it was meant to be 132% comedic. I do agree that if you look at it objectively it is WAY too much of an overreaction to getting accused of not paying for your food, which to be fair.....she didn't!
Yeah, in my headcanon, he was just joking around with her, haha.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Wanda was going bad before the dark hold, she is a VILLAIN in wandavision, she tortures an innocent town, shows no remorse for it,

Point of order; she absolutely does at the last episode. She even acknowledges there's no reason for them ever to forgive her.

But she's still driven to jump into the Darkhold to understand what she is, and her phantom family still has too much a grip on her. The result of those two things and her established tendency toward dysfunctional handling of grief leads her right down the road to hell.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I saw Wanda in her show as having a great character arc of overcoming her dark side and realizing that losing someone you love doesn't mean you lose yourself, because grief is love enduring.

This movie doesn't respect that, and doesn't do the work to justify why she'd turn her back on that. "Oops the book made her do it" feels crappy.

The Darkhold feeding someone's worst angels is absolutely what its always been about, though. I don't know any incarnation of it where extended contact with it didn't wreck someone.

The Darkhold feeding someone's worst angels is absolutely what its always been about, though. I don't know any incarnation of it where extended contact with it didn't wreck someone.

Sure, if this were a documentary, I'd totally be okay with them recounting how Wanda got corrupted. But it's a choice of a fiction writer who could decide what to do, and who chose to look at a character who'd gone through the events of Wandavision, and to undo that character growth due to the influence of an inanimate object.

Like, you could make a sequel to The Shawshank Redemption where Andy Dufresne does meth before the movie starts and then becomes a drug addicted criminal, and yeah, I guess that's possible. But it's hardly a satisfying follow-up to the previous story.

Jahydin

Hero
Sure, if this were a documentary, I'd totally be okay with them recounting how Wanda got corrupted. But it's a choice of a fiction writer who could decide what to do, and who chose to look at a character who'd gone through the events of Wandavision, and to undo that character growth due to the influence of an inanimate object.
Maybe just a way to get rid of her so they didn't have to constantly decide how to incorporate such a powerful character into future stories?

Bolares

Hero
People are ignoring the real ending to wandavision. She ends that show using a illusion to hide the fact that she doce completely in to the darkhold, and is hearing the cries for help of her children. Sure, she regrets enslaving westview, but right after that goes after the power of a demonic relic. What she is in this movie was directly set up in wandavision

Remove ads