D&D 5E Dragons as Player Characters

Xeviat

Hero
This looks interesting. I would like to run something like this with a whole PARTY of young dragons in a unique setting, not your default Realms or Eberron or whatever. Where dragons are the norm and other races are either very minor or non-existent. Like Planet of the Wyrms. )

I feel like my only big concern with my design is multiple dragons in the same party would definitely step on each other's wings. Granted, multiple any class in the same party will likely be difficult to properly spotlight.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This could be turned on it’s head - mortals age. But what of “immortal” beings. Perhaps humans have it wrong because they don’t understand the magicallity of dragons. They don’t age, they molt. Molting for a dragon is dependent on hoarding - treasure, knowledge, what have you. Dragons get more powerful when they absorb or bind with their hoard. A lucky dragon may molt into a Ancient Wyrm overnight if it happens upon a large enough hoard at once, or a “poor” dragon may remain a baby wyrmling for centuries due to lack of a bound hoard.

I remember Council of Wyrms (which used some of these ideas), but the problem with it was always finding or making suitable adventures - for a party of dragons.

And if power level bothers you, start at something like 5th, and work up to 25th or some such. Not every game need begin at 1st level.
Yup this... the idea that we know the game world so picture perfect that its not flexible is weird to me. I have seen games which present multiple versions of some archetypal character in that game world to demonstrate how differing points of view come to differing conclusions about the same things.

Last edited:

Remove ads