Dragonlance Dragons of Fate Dragonlance Novel Cover Revealed

The cover and description of Dragons of Fate, Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's second novel in the new Dragonlance novel trilogy have been revealed on Amazon, with a release date of August 1, 2023. A courageous heroine trapped in the distant past is determined to return to her own time--without changing the shape of the world forever--as the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance series...

2E4297CA-0EDA-458B-B5DC-4EC88613CA7B.jpeg

The cover and description of Dragons of Fate, Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's second novel in the new Dragonlance novel trilogy have been revealed on Amazon, with a release date of August 1, 2023.

A courageous heroine trapped in the distant past is determined to return to her own time--without changing the shape of the world forever--as the New York Times bestselling Dragonlance series continues in the thrilling sequel to Dragons of Deceit.

A clash of powerful magical forces sets off the Graygem of Gargath, sending Destina and her companions deeper into the past than she intended--to the age of Huma Dragonsbane and the Third Dragon War. Now, after the Device of Time Journeying shatters, they must find another way back to their own era, before the Graygem alters history irrevocably and the Third Dragon War ends in defeat for the forces of good.

With the battle raging on, Destina tries desperately to make amends and prevent disaster. Raistlin and Sturm encounter their heroes, Huma and Magius, and must reconcile the myths with the men. Meanwhile, Tasslehoff--shocked that the Knights of Solamnia have never heard of dragonlances--sets out to find the famed weapons.

But as the forces of the Dark Queen close in on the High Clerist's Tower, Destina's party must return to their own timeline together--or not at all.

The first book in the trilogy, Dragons of Deceit, came out earlier this year.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
Read Dragons of Deceit when it comes to who can and can't be a Knight of Solamnia, according to Weis and Hickman.

My comment was balls-on accurate.

This was dispelled in other threads. Read Dragons of Spring Dawning where Astinus of Palanthas makes it very clear that having women in the knighthood is not without precedent (though some believe that is not the case).

Destina's arc principally takes place after the War of the Lance.

I repeat: my comment was balls-on accurate.
No, it's not. As @DragonBelow referenced, Dragons of Spring Dawning set this straight with Astinus referencing a female knight from long before the War of the Lance. The entire point you seem to be missing was there were a lot of knights that were clearly mistaken about what their own rules even said.

Now whether females were able to inherit property without a will specifically declaring it in Solamnian society is entirely a different topic.

I'm also not sure where you get that the Classic tag was a part of the WotC lawsuit settlement. Do you actually have a legitimate source for that info? Because everything I saw reported around the time of the settlement had nothing for specifics other than the books would be allowed to be published under the existing WotC approval process.

Dire Bare

Legend
This was dispelled in other threads. Read Dragons of Spring Dawning where Astinus of Palanthas makes it very clear that having women in the knighthood is not without precedent (though some believe that is not the case).
Yes and no.

In the real world, we have rare examples of women being warriors in various cultures that generally didn't allow it. The exceptions prove the rule, to be cliche.

In the fantasy world of Krynn, women are not generally accepted as Knights of Solamnia. There are exceptions. Doesn't change the practice.

At your table, you can simply say your PCs are the exception and allow female knights. Or, better yet, as WotC is doing in their modern take on Dragonlance, eliminate the cultural restriction all together. Female knights are no longer an exception, they are simply allowed and accepted by all.

What bothers me the most is Sturm's stance. It looks like both legs are bent, which makes for an awkward position.

The problem I've had with Raistlin's depictions traditionally is that it frequently seemed like artists forgot that Caramon and Raistlin were twins and should have some resemblance, even if life has dramatically shaped each. Larry Elmore consistently managed it, but not every artist did.

Dragon and background look fine. The 3 characters look terrible.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes next. A lot was thrown into the pot at the very end of the last book.

Remove ads

Remove ads