• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Mastering as a Fine Art

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] I presume that they were in the sewers to travel from A to B. In my mind, B is the important part. Having that one random encounter as you move from A to B is usually pointless.

It's not like they are hexploring the sewers. The point of the session isn't the sewers, that's just a means to an end.
This could be; we're (differently, I think) assuming the context here. You're assuming simple A-B travel, where I'm assuming either A-X travel (as in, they don't know their end destination and won't until they find it) or A-0 travel (as in, the sewers *are* the adventure but the characters don't yet know this).

And even in the A-B travel scenario, let's face it: sewers are not a normal means of getting from A to B. :) That there's potentially some risk involved should be a reasonable expectation; including the very basic risk of getting lost.

Lanefan

Okay, fair enough, but these adventurers were in the sewers, I'm sure you are not a seasoned traveller of sewers unless the Ninja Turtles have made a strong comeback. But generally I get what you saying in the rest of your post regarding a DM does not 5 senses make. I tend to agree with you on most points, but would not discount the possibility of getting lost, I would certainly provide further information - if they travelled in a mostly eaterly direction, number of drains, noises they have heard, where they entered from...give some clues.

We're basically on the same page I think :)
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], PCs wanting to minimise risk is IME very much a product of certain gaming systems (chiefly oD&D and Call of Cthulhu). In systems where the PCs are more robust (Fate springs to mind) they tend to be a lot more "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes" because it works and gets bigger successes. It's one advantage of such systems. Also I'd personally say that if the 4E books you picked up were the PHB/DMG/MM and the adventures you've seen the worst of the system rather than the best.

Hussar

Legend
Just to back up NeonC here, the most unfortunate bit about 4e is how bad the early stuff was.

Give credit where it's due. 3e came out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Like it or hate it 3e had its game face on right from the word go.

4e really did take a while to get going. You can really see how the system evolved over time. Too little too late unfortunately.

pemerton

Legend
I'd prefer that Luke's character develop in play rather than be pre-determined. Is it possible to turn Luke to the dark side should be determined in play.

If the Vader PC fails, then Yes, Luke is not turnable. Otoh, if Vader succeeds, then Luke's feelings aren't so carved in stone.
This is my general approach, too.

In my reply to [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] upthread, I emphasised the importance of player knowledge. If the player knows that Luke is likely unable to be lured by the prospect of power, but decides to proceed that way anyway (eg because that's all his/he PC has to offer), then that is different from the GM springing this on the player as (hitherto) hidden backstory.

It can also depend on how things resolved. For instance, if we conceive as the resolution as a skill challenge with a combat embedded in it, then maybe Vader's player has won the challenge, but not without some failures along the way. And so the GM narrates a "Yes, but" resolution: Luke falls rather than turns, but the player learns that Luke has another weakness that could be exploited, namely, his love for Leia. That's a pretty harsh "Yes, but . . ", but in the overall context of play perhaps it makes sense.

That's why I gave some actual play examples upthread, to try and make things concrete. With these hypotheticals it's hard to generalise when (necessarily) we don't have any actual play context to better inform what is going on and what the dynamics are between GM and player.

Contrived scenarios break immersion from the story I'm telling.
As a GM I'm not trying to tell a story. I'm trying to frame the players (via their PCs) into difficult situations. If I do my job properly, and the game's mechanics work properly, then some sort of story should emerge.

Even our XP rewards lean far heavier on travel, new experiences, research, social interactions, meeting new persona as opposed to primarily combat.
I don't really see what work "primarily combat" is doing here. Social interactions and meeting new people are important in my game too. And I guess would be important in [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s game.

Another very important part of my game is the players (and thereby their PCs) learning the campaign backstory. But I generally prefer that the backstory come out in the context of resolving a situation - say, in the context of interacting with an NPC - then via a "download" triggered by (say) the PCs going to a library. Here's an example of the last purely exploratory scenario I ran. Here are two links to some examples of the sorts of social encounters I enjoy, which are my typical way of bringing out and/or establishing backstory.

what if your PCs went mountain climbing and forgot to purchase the rope, grapping hook, map...etc Is equipment out the window too or just the research/guide thing?
I'd generally assume that they did get that stuff, or that their success in getting that stuff is rolled into the climb check.

In a system that lets resource acquisition itself be part of the resolution process (eg a "buy gear" check to support the subsequent climbing check) I'd be happy to use that. But D&D doesn't really have that sort of system.

The other part of this, though, is that Conan climbs plenty of walls, mountains, cliffs etc without stocking up on gear first. And in one of the REH stories (Rogues in the House?) he breaks in via sewers without having checked the library archives first. I find that emphasising preparation, which in many respects is an aspect of PC-building (eg adding items onto equipment lists), can detract from actual resolution, which is where I prefer play to be focused.

Your PCs miss your intial clues to get required knowledge (i.e. they ignore the town's library archives), you continue to adapt the story so that the PCs acquire the information anyways (they bump into an old retired architect's assistant at a tavern), or (they find a kid in the sewers that guides them) or (they hear the gong of a church bell, knowing where they are in the sewers). So something along those lines?
Continually pushing the storyline forward, minimising setbacks and overlooking the Players/Characters "oversights"
This paragraph refers to a storyline being pushed forward. That way of talking doesn't really resonate with me, because it suggest a pre-determined end point (what [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] referred to as "Roads to Rome").

If the players in my game took their PCs into the sewers to try to sneak into another part of the city, then that's what we're resolving. In the context of 4e, Dungeoneering and Streetwise checks would be the order of the day (and would help resolve the question of whether or not the PCs got any useful information in advance). If checks succeed, the narration suggested by [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] (a PC sticks his/her head up through a grate) works fine. If checks fail and things seem to be grinding to a halt, some sort of complication is in order - maybe the PCs bump into their rivals in the sewer, heading the other way! Or if that would be too distracting, the same grate technique can work but this time the PC is seen as s/he is ducking back down - so now the PCs are on a tighter clock.

This link describes how I handled some of the last big Underdark crawl in my campaign.

I think you could easier adapt to my group (research/guide/equipment) as they would just give you more to work with as a storyteller, than if I would to your PC group (muddling things through).
I think you'd find my group gives plenty for a GM to work with.

Hussar

Legend
One constant note that I seem to see here is this idea that if we don't do things in a certain way, then my games must be nothing but hackfests with no role play.

It really does fly up my nose. Ignoring or over ruling mechanics does not make someone a better role player. Nor does following mechanics mean that a person is a poorer role player.

Mechanics are tools. Being able and willing to use a tool is not indicative of a lack of ability.

One constant note that I seem to see here is this idea that if we don't do things in a certain way, then my games must be nothing but hackfests with no role play.

It really does fly up my nose. Ignoring or over ruling mechanics does not make someone a better role player. Nor does following mechanics mean that a person is a poorer role player.

Mechanics are tools. Being able and willing to use a tool is not indicative of a lack of ability.

I'll go one step further. Every time the DM overrules the mechanics is to be treated as a failure of the game. If I need to overrule the mechanics then one of two things is happening:
1: I am using the wrong tools for what I should do and should be using a different set of rules. I therefore made a mistake when I chose the ruleset.
2: The rules are not fit for purpose. I therefore made a mistake when I chose the ruleset - and shouldn't trust the designer.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
It surprises me how few people understand DMing when it's pretty easy to explain. In wargaming (and boardgaming too) there is a common practice of people who don't play the games, but run them for others as assistants. They study the rules so they can be called upon without looking them up or debating them, they set up the table move the pieces around, they take the measurements often verifying with players, they try and quickly outline options for players who are confused on what they can and cannot do at any given point, and so on. They don't play they game, they are running the game so others might better enjoy it. That's the whole of what a DM does too.

There can be something of an art to that, but mostly it's about being organized, quick on your feet, fair, and knowing the rules inside and out.

It surprises me how few people understand DMing when it's pretty easy to explain. In wargaming (and boardgaming too) there is a common practice of people who don't play the games, but run them for others as assistants. They study the rules so they can be called upon without looking them up or debating them, they set up the table move the pieces around, they take the measurements often verifying with players, they try and quickly outline options for players who are confused on what they can and cannot do at any given point, and so on. They don't play they game, they are running the game so others might better enjoy it. That's the whole of what a DM does too.

There can be something of an art to that, but mostly it's about being organized, quick on your feet, fair, and knowing the rules inside and out.

It surprises me that anyone thinks that "That's the whole of what a DM does too." Because there are very few playstyles where that is the case. And frankly I wouldn't care to GM them as it would take any agency away from NPCs and reduce them to simple procedures.

Hussar

Legend
I'll go one step further. Every time the DM overrules the mechanics is to be treated as a failure of the game. If I need to overrule the mechanics then one of two things is happening:
1: I am using the wrong tools for what I should do and should be using a different set of rules. I therefore made a mistake when I chose the ruleset.
2: The rules are not fit for purpose. I therefore made a mistake when I chose the ruleset - and shouldn't trust the designer.

Now that I don't agree with. Role playing is far, far too complicated for any single ruleset to get it 100% right 100% of the time. There will always be times when exceptions should be made. And, by and large that's built into the rules. Rule 0 isn't a bad thing. Again, it's a tool with very practical uses.

Take the much maligned 3e Profession skills. They do what they are meant to do. Provide a quick and dirty way of determining what happens if the player decides to take up a trade for a period of time. And, provide a way to mechanically flesh out the background of the character. Fair enough. Is it accurate or realistic? Not even a little, but, then, it's not meant to be. It's a quick and dirty system for something that likely won't come up all that often in a game session.

Or, take the CR system. It works, kinda sorta. As a predictive tool, it's not terrible, but, not fantastic either. But, it's better than no system at all and, once the assumptions are factored in, a decent tool to help DM's create interesting encounters that don't swing too far. But, slavish adherence to the system won't make great adventures either.

Remove ads