Eastern Fantasy Noir Steampunk for D&D 5E?

Are you a fan of Eastern Fantasy Noir Steampunk? I'm not 100% sure what that is, but I do know that Storm Bunny Studios is prepping for a D&D 5E supplement called Mists of Akumal which will be Kickstarted throughout May. Designer Mike Myler has sent me along some exclusive peeks at what they have in store - a 200 page book with new races, land and prefectures, backgrounds, and class options. This preview takes a look at some Martial Arts Feats!

Are you a fan of Eastern Fantasy Noir Steampunk? I'm not 100% sure what that is, but I do know that Storm Bunny Studios is prepping for a D&D 5E supplement called Mists of Akumal which will be Kickstarted throughout May. Designer Mike Myler has sent me along some exclusive peeks at what they have in store - a 200 page book with new races, land and prefectures, backgrounds, and class options. This preview takes a look at some Martial Arts Feats!

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 13.52.55.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 13.52.02.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 13.52.29.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 13.52.42.png

They've also sent me previews of some Imperial Dragons, Tsukumogatami (an animated item), and some new backgrounds, race, and class options, which I'll share soon. Lots of images for one little article!

"The year is 3466; monsoons have become more and more common since the roiling, demon-spewing Mists of Akuma fi rst appeared, and the sun’s light grows duller with every day that passes after the end of the War of Kaiyo more than a century ago. A pall of darkness has fallen on Soburin and even its greatest heroes are mired in the petty intrigues and never-ending slights of aggressive clans. Spellswords and mercenaries cross the countryside in search of fortune, leaving the poor and meek to fend for themselves or die in the harsh reality of a broken world where technology has been either abandoned as heresy or perilously embraced."

Here's what the setting contains, according to the quick primer they sent me.

• Scores of beautiful, brand new illustrations from several talented artists to truly depict the unique world of Soburin in all of its dark, gritty glory
  • Detailed workings of Sanbaoshi, the capital of Soburin and home to the Imperial Palace of the Masuto Dynasty
  • Information on the Star of the North, Chikan, one of the unique scientifi c prefectures of Soburin
  • A section on Nagabuki, Gem of the South and one of Soburin’s most traditional states
  • The 22 great clans of Soburin, each with statistics for a unique Bengoshi (government agent) and henchman
  • Five different imperial dragons and over a dozen oni, fi lling your game with exciting new monsters
  • A treasure trove of new class options!
  • Bushibot Martial Archetype, Circle of Blight, Circle of Shifting, Clockwork Adept Arcane
  • Tradition, College of the Gun, Detective Rogue
  • Archetype, Herbalist Rogue Archetype, Mage
  • Arcane Tradition, Martial Artist Monastic Tradition,
  • Ninja Rogue Archetype, Priest Monastic Tradition, Samurai Sacred Oath, , Shinobibot Archetype,
  • Tsukumogami Hunter Ranger Archetype, Wu-Jen Warlock Pacts (with four patrons for every season of Soburin)
  • New races for players in Soburin!
  • Humans (Soburi, Ceramian, and Ropaeo),
  • Bakemono, Enjin, Hengeyokai (of the
  • Cat, Dog, Monkey, Rat, Crane, Fox, and
  • Spider varieties), Kappa, Mutants, Necroji,
  • Oni-Touched, Psonorous, Pyon, Shikome,
  • Steametic, Tanuki, Tengu, Umibozu
  • Dozens of new feats for spellcasters, warriors, and dedicated martial artists
  • Eastern armor and weapons, as well as a retinue of steampunk equipment
  • Two new attributes to instill flavor into your game: Dignity and Haitoku

As I mentioned above, I have more stuff to share, but it's a lot for one article. Keep an eye on the news page for more!
SaveSave

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
THIS is what D&D's "next major mechanical expansion" should look like.

I mean, I'm unsure about the balance and utility of all the mechanical options they present (that looks like WAY too many feats to me), but I love how every piece of it is dripping with flavor.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Holy hell, put this on my shelf, sir! This region will completely replace Kara-Tur in my Realms games if it's as good as it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm Bunny just (pdf) delivered their Rhune: Dawn of Twilight campaign setting to Kickstarter backers, and it's really cool stuff. That setting is described as "stormpunk" sort of a Norse/Steampunk based more on electricity than steam. The product is awesome. I have only glanced through it (and followed along on the updates) but what I have seen is top-notch professional level in production quality (can't speak to actual game balance, but nothing has slapped me in the face yet as out of whack, plus it was for Pathfinder not 5e).

So, given the product they delivered for that, I am absolutely interested in this! Their work on Rhune is great and very imaginative. So "Eastern Fantasy Noir Steampunk" sounds like a product right up their alley and something I love to see from 3rd party publishers!

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
There is a lot of flavor there.

No idea how balanced this stuff is, but its different.

Thanks TerraDave! The martial arts feats have a lot to do with the (eek! 27!) different races and subraces (many of which have vulnerability to an elemental energy). During development a playtest document will be released to Kickstarter backers to check for balance though. :D

Remove ads

Remove ads