Eberron Monsters: Dolgrim and Dolgaunt

Spatula

Explorer
I know dolgaunts (and a named dolgrim) are in the KotS Eberron conversion article, but I wasn't too impressed with the dolgaunt and I thought that giving the dolgrim the goblin racial power (rather than its own distinctive power) was also a bit lacking.

And I think that, in the scheme of things, these creatures should be mid- to high-heroic threats, or low-paragon as minions.

DOLGRIM
Formed out of goblins by the insane daelkyr, dolgrim are short gray-skinned humanoids with two wide mouths (one on top of the other), two sets of arms (ditto), and no neck. Their minds house two personalities, one of which is the "stronger" dominant one, with each controlling one set of arms and one mouth. As a result, the creature is quite capable of carrying on a conversation with itself. They are the foot soldiers of the daelkyr's armies on Eberron.

DOLGRIM GRUNT - Level 4 Brute
Small aberrant humanoid - XP 175
---
Initiative +5; Senses Perception +3, low-light vision
HP 64; Bloodied 32
AC 17; Fortitude 16; Reflex 17; Will 17
Speed 5
---
:bmelee: Club (standard; at will) * Weapon: +7 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
:bmelee: Javelin (standard; at will) * Weapon: +7 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
:ranged: Javelin (standard; at will) * Weapon: Ranged 10/20 +7 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
:melee: Many Armed (standard; at will): The dolgrim grunt makes a club attack and a javelin attack (melee or ranged).
Dolgrim Tactics (reaction; when an enemy moves into position that flanks the dolgrim; encounter): The dolgrim grunt shifts 1 sqaure and makes a basic melee attack, targeting one of the prospective flankers.
Dual Consciousness: At the end of its turn, the dolgrim grunt automatically saves against the dazed and stunned conditions and against charm effects that a save can end.
---
Alignment Chaotic Evil; Languages Deep Speech
Skills Athletics +10, Endurance +8
Str 18; Dex 17; Wis 12
Con 14; Int 6; Cha 8
---
Equipment: club, leather armor, light shield, three javelins

---

DOLGRIM BOLT-THROWER - Level 3 Artillery
Small aberrant humanoid - XP 150
---
Initiative +6; Senses Perception +3, low-light vision
HP 44; Bloodied 22
AC 17; Fortitude 16; Reflex 16; Will 15
Speed 5
---
:bmelee: Club (standard; at will) * Weapon: +8 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage.
:ranged: Hand Crossbow (standard; at will) * Weapon: Ranged 10/20 +10 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage.
:melee: Two-Fisted Volley (standard; encounter; see also steady fire): The dolgrim bolt-thrower makes two hand crossbow attacks.
Steady Fire: If the dolgrim bolt-thrower does not move on its turn, Two-Fisted Volley recharges.
Dolgrim Tactics (reaction; when an enemy moves into position that flanks the dolgrim; encounter): The dolgrim bolt-thrower shifts 1 sqaure and makes a basic melee attack, targeting one of the prospective flankers.
Dual Consciousness: At the end of its turn, the dolgrim bolt-thrower automatically saves against the dazed and stunned conditions and against charm effects that a save can end.
---
Skills Athletics +7, Endurance +7
Str 15; Dex 18; Wis 12
Con 14; Int 6; Cha 8
---
Equipment: club, leather armor, light shield, two hand crossbows, 30 bolts

---

DOLGRIM PEON - Level 10 Minion
Small aberrant humanoid - XP 125
---
Initiative +8; Senses Perception +6, low-light vision
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 24; Fortitude 21; Reflex 22; Will 22
Speed 5
---
:bmelee: Many Armed Assault (standard; at will) * Weapon: +17 vs. AC; 7 damage.
:ranged: Javelin (standard; at will) * Weapon: Ranged 10/20 +13 vs. AC; 5 damage.
Dolgrim Tactics (reaction; when an enemy moves into position that flanks the dolgrim; encounter): The dolgrim peon shifts 1 sqaure and makes a basic melee attack, targeting one of the prospective flankers.
Dual Consciousness: At the end of its turn, the dolgrim peon automatically saves against the dazed and stunned conditions and against charm effects that a save can end.
---
Skills Athletics +13, Endurance +11
Str 18; Dex 17; Wis 12
Con 14; Int 6; Cha 8
---
Equipment: club, leather armor, light shield, three javelins

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Alternative ideas for dolgrim racial power:
Confounding Assault (minor; encounter): The dolgrim's next melee attack
targets Reflex?
negates shield bonuses to AC?

Basically I was going for the idea of fighting a nasty little bugger with four arms, two mouths, and two minds would be really annoying/confusing as you have to fend off blows from all directions.

Spatula

Explorer
DOLGAUNTS
Crafted from hobgoblin stock by the daelkyr, dolgaunts are man-sized skinless humanoids with a long tentacle growing from each shoulder. These horrid creatures have no eyes, and yet are able to see perfectly regardless. Their tentacles have the ability to burrow into flesh drain life force, healing the dolgaunt in the process.

Dolgaunts often serve as commanders of dolgrim, or are send to important cults to serve as guards or assassins. They often train in unarmed martial arts.

I turned the "life drain" of the tentacles into poison damage (in 3e it was CON damage). Necrotic also seems appropriate, but I think of that as being more associate with the Shadowfell; as an aberration the dolgaunt's abilities should be more physical IMO. Acid would probably also work. I also considered having it remove a surge, but that's too powerful I think.

DOLGAUNT BODYGUARD - Level 6 Soldier
Medium aberrant humanoid (blind) - XP 250
---
Initiative +9; Senses Perception +6, blindsight 20
HP 72; Bloodied 36; see also tentacle rake
AC 22; Fortitude 18; Reflex 18; Will 16
Speed 6
---
:bmelee: Quarterstaff (standard; at will) * Weapon: +13 vs. AC; 1d8+4 damage and the target is marked until the end of the dolgaunt bodyguard's next turn.
:melee: Leg Sweep (standard; recharge :6:) * Weapon: +13 vs. AC; 2d8+4 damage, and the target is knocked prone and marked until the end of the dolgaunt bodyguard's next turn.
:melee: Tentacle Rake (standard; at will) * Healing, Poison: Reach 2; +13 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage and 5 poison damage, and the dolgaunt bodyguard regains 5 hit points.
:melee: Grasping Tentacle (standard; sustain minor; encounter): Reach 2; +11 vs. Reflex; 1d6+4 damage and the target is grabbed (until escape). When the grab is sustained, the dolgaunt bodyguard makes a Tentacle Rake attack against the target as a free action.
:melee: Not So Fast (rection; when a marked enemy shifts or moves out of a square adjacent to the dolgaunt; at-will): Reach 2; +11 vs Reflex; the target is pulled 1 square.
---
Alignment Chaotic Evil; Languages Common, Deep Speech
Skills Athletics +12, Stealth +12
Str 18; Dex 18; Wis 14
Con 16; Int 13; Cha 11
---
Equipment: quarterstaff

---

DOLGAUNT CENOBITE - Level 7 Skirmisher
Medium aberrant humanoid (blind) - XP 300
---
Initiative +10; Senses Perception +11, blindsight 20
HP 78; Bloodied 39; see also tentacle rake
AC 21; Fortitude 18; Reflex 20; Will 18
Speed 7
---
:bmelee: Tentacle Rake (standard; at will) * Healing, Poison: Reach 2; +12 vs. AC; 1d6+5 damage and 5 poison damage, and the dolgaunt cenobite regains 5 hit points.
:melee: Grasping Tentacle (standard; sustain minor; encounter): Reach 2; +10 vs. Reflex; 1d6+5 damage and the target is grabbed (until escape). When the grab is sustained, the dolgaunt cenobite makes a Tentacle Rake attack against the target as a free action.
:melee: Stunning Strike (standard; encounter): +12 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage and make a secondary attack: +10 vs Fortitude; the target is stunned (save ends).
Sinuous Dodge (interrupt; when attacked in melee; recharge :5: :6:): The dolgaunt cenobite shifts 3 squares.
---
Skills Athletics +11, Stealth +13
Str 16; Dex 20; Wis 16
Con 14; Int 13; Cha 11

---

DOLGAUNT ENFORCER - Level 13 Minion
Medium aberrant humanoid (blind) - XP 200
---
Initiative +13; Senses Perception +13, blindsight 20
AC 27; Fortitude 25; Reflex 25; Will 23
Speed 6
---
:bmelee: Tentacle Rake (standard; at will) * Poison: Reach 2; +18 vs. AC; 4 damage and 4 poison damage.
:melee: Grasping Tentacle (standard; sustain minor; encounter): Reach 2; +16 vs. Reflex; 4 damage and the target is grabbed (until escape). When the grab is sustained, the dolgaunt enforcer makes a Tentacle Rake attack against the target as a free action.
---
Skills Athletics +15, Stealth +15
Str 18; Dex 18; Wis 14
Con 16; Int 13; Cha 11

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
I think the dolgrim's levels are too high. Namely, they're meant to be on par with goblins/kobolds; useful at low levels.

I like the dolgaunts.

Spatula

Explorer
Thanks for commenting!

I think the dolgrim's levels are too high. Namely, they're meant to be on par with goblins/kobolds; useful at low levels.
This was my thinking WRT levels:
1) Dolgrim & dolgaunts are basically low-level underdark creatures. And in 4e, the underdark monsters are all paragon-tier. So I think that these creatures should be fairly tough.

2) They should be stronger than your normal goblin or hobgoblin warrior. Otherwise why create them in the first place? (I know, I know, the daelkyr's motives are inscrutable)

3) 4th and 5th level monsters aren't out of place for, say, a 2nd level group.

4) And finally, there's tons of kobolds and goblins already out there for 1st level. The humanoid selection is sparser in the mid-heroic range. I can see wanting something different for 1st level adventures, though, since at the moment pickings are a little slim in terms of creature types.

But yeah, the dolgrims could be a level lower.

Rechan

Adventurer
Thanks for commenting!

This was my thinking WRT levels:
1) Dolgrim & dolgaunts are basically low-level underdark creatures. And in 4e, the underdark monsters are all paragon-tier. So I think that these creatures should be fairly tough.
Eh? Are you sure? Every time I've seen dolgrims/dolgaunts, they're basically operating with Cults of the Dragon Below. They're low, low level aberrations. Aberrations that can run around on the surface.

But anyways, I just thought the dolgrim's level was way too close to the dolgaunt. ;)

Also, with regards to dolgrims; you might want to look at the Ettin. Not to go so far as to copy the initiative mechanism, but the ettin can also auto-save against mind effects (dazed, et al). That might very well be on par with the

Spatula

Explorer
Eh? Are you sure? Every time I've seen dolgrims/dolgaunts, they're basically operating with Cults of the Dragon Below. They're low, low level aberrations. Aberrations that can run around on the surface.
Right, and they're meant to be encountered on the surface (as non-minions). I was simply saying that they're daelkyr-spawn, primarily live in Khyber, and should be tougher than your average goblin. Pretty much every man-sized humanoid was a low-level threat in 3e, because they were all set up as 1 or 2-3 HD foes that you could add levels to if you wanted them tougher. Orcs, gnolls, lizard folk, and so on. They're all over the heroic tier in level in 4e, though.

Good call on the ettin. Thanks again! I think I'm stealing their two-mind ability and basing the racial off of the anti-flanking thing.

Dolgrim Tactics (reaction; when enemy moves into position that flanks the dolgrim; encounter): The dolgrim shifts 1 and makes a basic melee attack, targeting one of the prospective flankers.
---

DOLGAUNT ENFORCER - Level 13 Minion
Medium aberrant humanoid (blind) - XP 200
---
Initiative +13; Senses Perception +13, blindsight 20
AC 27; Fortitude 25; Reflex 25; Will 23
Speed 6
---
:bmelee: Tentacle Rake (standard; at will) * Poison: Reach 2; +18 vs. AC; 4 damage and 4 poison damage.
:melee: Grasping Tentacle (standard; sustain minor; encounter): Reach 2; +16 vs. Reflex; 4 damage and the target is grabbed (until escape). When the grab is sustained, the dolgaunt enforcer makes a Tentacle Rake attack against the target as a free action.
---
Skills Athletics +15, Stealth +15
Str 18; Dex 18; Wis 14
Con 16; Int 13; Cha 11

Remove ads