D&D 5E Elven Rogue with advantage and Elven Accuracy. Is diping into fighter to get the Archery Fighting Style overkill?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
It does help offset sharpshooter, for sure. It matters more the more attacks you have though. In your case you need to balance it against setting your rogue progression back a level.

G

Guest 6801328

Alternately, consider 5 levels of Gloomstalker Ranger. You'll get the fighting style, an extra attack in the first round (even better if your rogue subclass is Assassin), Pass WIthout Trace, and two attacks.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, for an assassin build I'd have more specific opinions. Gloomstalker 5 is probably my fav, but Battlemaster 5 is also excellent. In either case you want to take a non-rogue level first, especially fighter, for the armor profs and saves. If you wanted a minimum dip just for the style then fighter is the way to go.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So if a Elven Rogue with Sharpshooter, Elven accuracy dipping into fighter for the Archery Fighting Style overkill?

It's nice when you don't have advantage but hopefully you get advantage quite a bit and if you are then the difference is pretty negligible.

The more impressive scenario would be to get action surge and attack and ready an attack with action surge and get 2 sneak attacks on your first turn.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you've taken Sharpshooter, you should probably be dipping Fighter or Ranger levels anyway to get Extra Attack, so sure, grab Archery fighting style. Sharpshooter on a pure Rogue build is already pretty sub-optimal, though.

Horwath

Legend
If you've taken Sharpshooter, you should probably be dipping Fighter or Ranger levels anyway to get Extra Attack, so sure, grab Archery fighting style. Sharpshooter on a pure Rogue build is already pretty sub-optimal, though.

5 levels could hardly be called a "dip".

But if you are a rogue with Elven accuracy and Sharpshooter(8th level), level of fighter might be just right to make that one attack per round lands most of the time.

My 1st 5E character was a rogue with sharpshooter and at 5th level I took one level of fighter.

Wanted to play a Ranger, but took one look at the class and said; Ranger? Rogue with Outlander background and 1 level of fighter will have to do.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
5 levels could hardly be called a "dip".

But if you are a rogue with Elven accuracy and Sharpshooter(8th level), level of fighter might be just right to make that one attack per round lands most of the time.

My 1st 5E character was a rogue with sharpshooter and at 5th level I took one level of fighter.

Wanted to play a Ranger, but took one look at the class and said; Ranger? Rogue with Outlander background and 1 level of fighter will have to do.
"Dip" is meant somewhat ironically; Sharpshooter is really only good for classes that get more than one attack. Elven Accuracy does boost hit rate enough that even a Rogue does gain some benefit from using it in situations of moderate accuracy (hit on a 8+, roughly), though, so I guess it does have utility if the Rogue has already maxed out Dex.

NotAYakk

Legend
Sharpshooter is more often a poor choice for a rogue; at level 11 a hit with a short/hand bow deals 7d6+5 (29). A -5 to hit for +10 damage (before advantage) costs 29/4=7.25 dpr. You'd need a 7.25/10 = hit on a 6+ after sharpshooter to make up for it, roughly.

With super advantage this does get better, but not enough. Suppose you needed a 11+ to hit before super advantage; you had a 88% hit chance. After you need a 16+, for 1-(3/4)^3=37/64 hit chance = 58%. So you lose 30%*29=9 damage for gaining 5.8. Not worth it.

If you hit on a 6+ before it was 98% hit chance, and after 88%; so you lose 2.9 damage in exchange for 8.8. Worth it in isolation.

But the gain was 6 damage; if you had xbow expert, you could save the sneak attack for a crit (27% crit chance instead of 14%, worth .13*7d6=3ish) and get a second shot (worth about 10). And in lower AC situations it always benefits (not saving for crit, but the extra shot) unlike sharpshooter.

SS scales with # of attacks; you have a low # of attacks. SS scales inversely with damage per hit; you have a high damage per hit.

It's nice when you don't have advantage but hopefully you get advantage quite a bit and if you are then the difference is pretty negligible.

The more impressive scenario would be to get action surge and attack and ready an attack with action surge and get 2 sneak attacks on your first turn.
Doesn't work. Action surge provide an additional action not turn and SA is once per turn.

Remove ads