• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise 11-05-04

Orius

Legend
CCamfield said:
I'm sure that Soong's history lesson wasn't the only one; he must have raised them constantly telling them they were superior.
Exactly, and I think that's why Malik has turned into a remorseless killer. Or why they abandoned Smike.

And I would say that Archer's sarcastic remark to Soong about needing a history lesson doesn't just apply to the Eugenics War; it could just as easily refer to WWII or any other equally applicable example. I think Soong's biggest problem is that he's been blinded by his idealism.

And here's a thought: I think Malik will probably turn on Soong on the final part next week.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Let's not forget that the Augments have tangible evidence to back up the hype of their being superior. Despite what most of us commoners would like to think about all of us being equal, at the end of the day, when someone can run faster, hear better, toss people across a room, caculate faster than a computer, etc., one can kinda understand how they might begin to feel superior. However, the way we have to amend the premise from "We are all equal" to "We are all entitled to being treated equally", in order to not give the Augments credit for being superior becomes the same reason we aren't justified in marginalizing the Augments. It's Starfleet's Catch-22.

On a side note, I thought it was interested that the biggest questions I had last week regarding why the Augments aren't just killing everyone and how the phaser weapons aren't downing them were seriously addressed in the first fifteen minutes on this episode.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the way they handled the cliffhanger. I mean, watching Archer climbing up a Jeffries Tube really does not drama make. They could have come up with a much more powerful image, methinks.

CCamfield

First Post
Yeah, poison gas coming in through the vents would have been a better cliffhanger (even if it would suggest they were too late :)).

Orius, I think you're right - despite the fact that Soong believes in the Augments, he doesn't really seem to want to kill people to achieve that end. And Malik took those pathogens without Soong's knowledge, so there's bound to be a clash over that in the next episode.

Wolf72

Explorer
What did malcom say? ... " .. if it's that hard to stun them, how hard is it going to be to kill them?"

do these phase pistols have a kill setting on? ... or heck, put it on max str and put hole through somebody.

if there's one paradigm about man, I think it's that the gun (in whatever form) is the great equalizer ... just get a big enough one. That's why the Mako's (sp) are there, isn't it?

... oh well, I'm guessing Archer and crew are suppossed to have some sort of conscience.

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
Orius said:
And here's a thought: I think Malik will probably turn on Soong on the final part next week.
This is a foregone conclusion to me. Malik just wants more power and he will crush anyone in his way because he thinks it's his birthright.

John Crichton

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the way they handled the cliffhanger. I mean, watching Archer climbing up a Jeffries Tube really does not drama make. They could have come up with a much more powerful image, methinks.
Believe it or not, I actually liked the final shot. It was different. The "gas leaking into the room and all the characters either stand around staring and choking" is classic but it's old. I like it when people try something different.

John Crichton

First Post
Orius said:
Of course that raises the question of why Kirk's loose cannon behavior was tolerated; my assumption is that Section 31 had no problem with Kirk taking on threats the way he did regardless of how many times he broke the Prime Directive or Starfleet Regulations. :]
Kirk was tolerated for the same reason that Archer was allowed to do whatever he needed to do to stop the Xindi. Kirk only did crazy stuff when absolutely needed. The only times he truly broke protocol was when friends/loved ones were in danger. The best way to describe Kirk would be unorthodox first and gunslinger second (and swinger third).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads