• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise 11-05-04

driver8

First Post
A slight detour topic wise, but Im wondering..given Mr Coto's putting the series back on its pre TOS track, any idea if he'll answer the biggest Star Trek question: Why Klingons look different in TOS then is Enterprise and TNG?

Of course it only matters to my own geeky self- my pet way for it to be resolved would be that the Klingons to get interested in Augmentation tech as a result of this whole Soong affair, which in addition to setting Starfleet/ Klingon relations on a negative path, but also make the Klingons tinker with their physiology to become superior warriors.

Back to the point, I liked this ep and the direction its going. We had action, character development and yet the plot was actually advanced unlike earlier seasons and much of Voyager.

And Brent Spiner may not be Brando, be hes a pretty good actor. Im actually feeling sorry for Soong.

Staffan

Legend
Cthulhudrew said:
Was that Babylon 5? (I know Strazcynski wrote a lot of those- heck, it was his baby).
Yes. From episode 2.18 (Confessions and Lamentations) to episode 5.10 (Phoenix Rising). Had it not been for a single episode written by Neil Gaiman in the fifth season, it would have been 71 in a row. Though Harlan Ellison gets co-credit for some of the later ones ("Written by J. Michael Straczynski; Story by J. Michael Straczynski and Harlan Ellison").

Ahnehnois

First Post
any idea if he'll answer the biggest Star Trek question: Why Klingons look different in TOS then is Enterprise and TNG?
In the (great) DS9 episode, Trials and Tribble-ations when the DS9 crew visits TOS, Worf is asked about this and says something like "We do not speak of it with outsiders." This is probably the only answer we're ever going to get.

drothgery

First Post
Ahnehnois said:
In the (great) DS9 episode, Trials and Tribble-ations when the DS9 crew visits TOS, Worf is asked about this and says something like "We do not speak of it with outsiders." This is probably the only answer we're ever going to get.
Back when I used to read Trek novels, the explanations put forward were

1) There are different races within the Klingon Empire, and one that looked very nearly human was dominant in the TOS era.

2) For some inexplicable reason, Klingons working near the border in the TOS era got cosmetic surgery to look nearly human.

The actual explanation, though, is that TOS didn't have much of a costuming budget.

driver8

First Post
Ahnehnois said:

Ya I know, but since they seem to be filling in a lot of blanks in the Star Trek prequel history coloring book, Id like this little part to be "officially" covered.

Really though I figure it was just a fashion in the Klingon Empire. And like fashion mistakes made by us on earth (bell bottoms, jerri curls you name it) the Klingons just want to forget about it :)

Orius

Legend
Wycen said:
Malik will turn on Soong, the only thing I wonder is if he'll be killed or simply smacked around and ignored.
I think he'll be killed, personally. I'm sort of expecting Malik to mortally wound Soong, but not kill him outright; I'm expecting Soong to say something repentant before he dies.

I'll be curious to see in the next episode if all the augments are taken from storage, if they'll be destroyed or put back into deep freeze by Earth or if some will escape, (ala Khan).
Or if Earth decides to give them the chance to live too. Also, what happens to the rest of the Augments? I expect Malik to be killed, either by Archer or the Klingons, but how many of the others will survive?

Orius

Legend
Ahnehnois said:
And putting Kor, Kang, and Koloth on DS9 with modern Klingon makeup only made the can of worms bigger. Yeah, it's really a budget issue, and they generally ignore the old Klingon look where possible.

Wycen

Explorer
Orius said:
Or if Earth decides to give them the chance to live too. Also, what happens to the rest of the Augments? I expect Malik to be killed, either by Archer or the Klingons, but how many of the others will survive?

Soong took 19 with him. Smike and Leader 1 are dead, that leaves 17 unless I missed another dying somewhere.

Swoop109

First Post
Ahnehnois said:
Back when FASA had the rights for the Star Trek RPG, they explained the different Klingons this way;

1, The Klingons from ST;TMP, and by extension all Klingons since then, were the naturally evolved race from the Klingon homeworld. They are the pure orginal Klingons.

2, The Klingons from TOS were the result of grafting stolen genetic material from humans on to the Klingon genome. This was done to create a race that could better react to the human/Federation encrouchment of the Klingon boarder, and to create spies that could be sent into the Federation.
Another sub-race, using Romulan DNA, was created to handle the problems along the Romulan/Klingon boarder.

Personaly, I think that it would be interesting if they end the third episode implying that the Klingons have either captured, or aquired the bodies of some of the Augments, and plan on using the human eugentics program to improve their own race. :]

Cthulhudrew

First Post
driver8 said:
A slight detour topic wise, but Im wondering..given Mr Coto's putting the series back on its pre TOS track, any idea if he'll answer the biggest Star Trek question: Why Klingons look different in TOS then is Enterprise and TNG?

Of course it only matters to my own geeky self- my pet way for it to be resolved would be that the Klingons to get interested in Augmentation tech as a result of this whole Soong affair, which in addition to setting Starfleet/ Klingon relations on a negative path, but also make the Klingons tinker with their physiology to become superior warriors.

I was hoping the same thing, but unfortunately, we've already seen the (different) Klingons as the "standard"- and this is pre-ST:TOS.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed the similarity between the heads of Doctor Flox' people and the Klingons'?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads