• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise 11-12-04

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I was a little upset that while all throughout episode 2 of the arc there were no doubts about the importance of stopping the augments at any cost. Archer was to be sacrificed along with the entire station crew at one point without any second thoughts. Then in episode three all of a sudden they break off pursuit which they were winning to rescue a shuttle pilot. I'm sorry but it seems to me they should have left the pilot and finished the job.

John Crichton

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
I was a little upset that while all throughout episode 2 of the arc there were no doubts about the importance of stopping the augments at any cost. Archer was to be sacrificed along with the entire station crew at one point without any second thoughts. Then in episode three all of a sudden they break off pursuit which they were winning to rescue a shuttle pilot. I'm sorry but it seems to me they should have left the pilot and finished the job.
Archer is much less reckless risking the lives of others. He would easily sacrifice himself for the cause. He has hardened up because of the Xindi mission but he still tries to do the right thing and would never leave someone to die. Same goes for his crew.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
John Crichton said:
Archer is much less reckless risking the lives of others. He would easily sacrifice himself for the cause. He has hardened up because of the Xindi mission but he still tries to do the right thing and would never leave someone to die. Same goes for his crew.

I would buy this more if they hadn't just tried to off everyone on the station. There was no how can we save the hostages, it was send destruct codes, ok that didn't work, open fire with the torpedos. There was no reason for the change this week other than "This is Trek so the needs of the individual outweigh the needs of the many." Given the orders to stop the augments at any cost and the behavior from last episode there is no good reason to stop for a rescue mission. I am all for making Trek edgier, but when it flip-flops from week to week only shows poor continuity and makes it that much harder to watch. They could have at least taken a minute for Archer to think about this moral dilema and explain why he made the choice that he did. Overall it was a good episode and stand alone it was fine, unfortunately it was part of an overall arc and it didn't work in that context.

Arnwyn

First Post
John Crichton said:
The Klingon warp "rainbow" effect. Classic.
Heh. I totally cackled upon seeing that. That single instance made it feel like the old Trek I know and love. Just with that, the episode could do no wrong in my eyes.
The nod to the Khan death scene by Malik.
Again, another high point for us, too. Mrs. Arnwyn and I were giggling like schoolgirls during those moments. (Along with, as you mentioned as well, the reference to the Botany Bay. Woo! Cool Trek nostalgia overload!)

Orius

Legend
A2Z said:
Khan is our contemporary!? Man, I gotta start reading the paper;)
It gets wonkier than that. If you assume that the Augments matured at a normal rate, then Khan would have been born at around the same time or even earlier than the episode "Space Seed" itself! And this has nothing to do with the fact that early in TOS, the show's producers didn't have the 23rd century nailed down as the specific time period, since the episode clearly stated the Eugenics Wars took place during the 1990s. I'd read rumors that Berman and Braga were thinking to revise the whole Eugenics Wars timeline to place it in the 21st century because of these problems, but with this episode it seems the producers decided to keep the original timeline intact.

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Orius said:
I'd read rumors that Berman and Braga were thinking to revise the whole Eugenics Wars timeline to place it in the 21st century because of these problems, but with this episode it seems the producers decided to keep the original timeline intact.

I haven't read it, but there were some recent Trek books about the Eugenics wars (vol. 1 and 2, the Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox) which dealt with this in depth for the first time. IIRC, it kept the idea of the 90s as the time period for the EW.

Anyone read these that can tell us a bit more?

Orius

Legend
Cthulhudrew said:
I haven't read it, but there were some recent Trek books about the Eugenics wars (vol. 1 and 2, the Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh by Greg Cox) which dealt with this in depth for the first time. IIRC, it kept the idea of the 90s as the time period for the EW.
Keep in mind though, that Paramount doesn't consider any of the Star Trek books "canonical". That means, even if the books might have a good story or good ideas, the producers of the TV shows essential ignore them, and often write stuff that contradict the books. That's pretty much the reason I stopped reading them, because inconsistancies can really muddy things up pretty quickly. So even if these books about the Eugenics Wars are good, there's always the possibility someone will change the premises with a TV episode or a movie.

I wonder just how Soong is going to produce an heir... he's locked up for life, and he never seems to have had a wife... unless there's a love child in his past that they just didn't mention. Plus, he's getting a little long in the tooth... he's going to have to hurry if they want to keep the ST timeline intact...

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
David Howery said:
I wonder just how Soong is going to produce an heir... he's locked up for life, and he never seems to have had a wife... unless there's a love child in his past that they just didn't mention. Plus, he's getting a little long in the tooth... he's going to have to hurry if they want to keep the ST timeline intact...

He's probably got his heir in a test tube already.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1847523&postcount=47

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads