• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enterprise 11-26-04

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
John Crichton said:
And for the record, the Vulcan leader being a Romulan is hairbrained at best. That's obviously not the direction they are going in. They are going for the corrupt government angle, not the alien spy angle. C'mon people, it's not like they are making this hard to follow...

I never said he was a Romulan... merely that the actor is playing him far more like one than even the "modified" Vulcan we've seen since the series started. No it's not hard to follow.. just a little hard to swallow. (hey that rhymed!;)

mojo1701

First Post
Tom Cashel said:
But the utter lack of intelligence paired with mean-spirited singlemindedness is a better comment on current events. ;)

And once we found out who Arev/Syrran really was, there went the chances that V'Las would've captured Syrran, exclaiming to the people, "We got him."

John Crichton

First Post
LrdApoc said:
I never said he was a Romulan... merely that the actor is playing him far more like one than even the "modified" Vulcan we've seen since the series started. No it's not hard to follow.. just a little hard to swallow. (hey that rhymed!;)
Naw, I'm pretty sure you didn't. Someone else said that he could be a Romulan. Sorry if you thought my post was directed at ya. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Tom Cashel said:
Seems to me that Trek is getting back to the other thing they always did so well...commenting obliquely on current events.

While we should perhaps not explore that too far, for fear of running afoul of the politics ban, I do think think it is an excellent point.

Also, original Trek was well known for characters who were more allegory and archetype then they were real people. And the vulcan leader goes back to this. The thesis is that the vulcan people, on the whole, are headed in the wrong direction. As their leader, he should be the epitome of that wrong direction, to make it clear to the viewer what that wrong direction is.

Orius

Legend
LrdApoc said:
I have to say though that I still don't buy many of the Vulcan characters on the show.. the emotion control issue is being played badly by the main villian in this arc. He's a returning Trek actor which is good but honestly he doesn't act Vulcan at all.. and seems far more Human or Romulan..

Well, far more Romulan isn't too badly out of character for a Vulcan villain, after all, the Romulans are an offshoot of Vulcans. Besides, he may very well have himself convinced that everything he's doing is perfectly logical.

GSHamster

Adventurer
The Vulcan leadership not acting like normal Vulcans is okay, considering that they are apparently saying the Cyrrans are the "true" Vulcans. But I think that T'Pol's mother was really acting un-Vulcanish, especially for a Cyrran. Her comments seemed too emotional for a Cyrran.

myrdden

First Post
My comments...

The dynamic of the conflict. I've always liked the idea that the human-Vulcan relationship started off rocky. Tripp commanding Enterprise with Sorval aiding him was great too.

Dislikes:

The acting when it comes to Vulcans. I don't know if the direction or the actor, but most Vulcans are protrayed way too emotionally for a race who has restricted their emotions. Especially the female Vulcans - they all seem to be on the verge of crying. The only Vulcan who seems Vulcan is Sorval. The others just seem to be over- or poorly-acted.

I also though the Vulcan artifact was a bit too easy to find for being a long lost object.

At least the story is interesting even if the acting isn't all that great.

Belen

Adventurer
Anyone notice that T'Pau is the same one from TOS? You know, the one who oversaw the marriage of Spock and the woman who transferred Spock's katra from McCoy to the new Spock.

I guess she learned how to transfer the katra by the time she became a kolinahr master.

I am loving this season. It has finally returned to Trek!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads